ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Saturday, June 13, 2009

2 Corinthians 12:7-10

2 Corinthians 12:7-10  To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me.  Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me.  But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.  That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties.  For when I am weak, then I am strong.

My grace is sufficient for you, for my (the Lord's) power is made perfect in weakness.  The questions are:  What is the Lord's power, and what does it do?  The Lord's power is the miraculous transforming presence that affects our spirits for the better and makes our lives for Christ shine brighter in a dark world.  We become more like Jesus Christ in our day-to-day walk.  Christians often pray to be more like Jesus, to be stronger, better Christians, more dedicated, more powerful in prayer.  I wonder if we really would pray that way if we knew the cost, if we knew the answer would come through the venues of weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and difficulties.  We might quickly say the cost is too great.  The deeper, more dependent walk in Christ might not be that important to us.  We might say the cost of being a Paul is too great--to have our testimony sharpened, highlighted for the Lord.  THE COST IS JUST TOO GREAT.  

One thing that I have learned as I have walked with the Lord for over 50 years: maturity and eldership do not come without a cost.  Spiritual insight does not come without a cost.  Ministry does not come without a cost.  If you desire more of Christ, you will suffer.  You will experience times of great stress, times when you think you have lost your spiritual moorings, times when you are sure all is lost.  Depth in Christ like does not come by strolling down Easy Street.  When we are filled with the fruits and the goodies of the world, we tend to settle down spiritually.  We are satisfied with the status quo.  Our lives are not discernible from the world.  Then our living testimony is to gain the most from this world.  Our spiritual, eternal selves soon become anemic.  We no longer anticipate the Lord's coming.  We like it where we are.  Sadly, we say to ourselves, we have to die someday, but we hope that is far in the future, for we are comfortable and secure here.  Spiritual depth comes from fighting spiritual battles, by desperately depending on the battle plan devised by God and obeying his voice.  Then, and only then, do we see the cross.  We see Jesus' walk, his love, his covenant.  

A life of ease will never develop elders that the church or people can depend on.  No, Christ's power, his ability to change us, works best in our weaknesses, works best when we face the problems of the world.  Christianity works best when we are backed into a corner and there is no way out but up through the power of the cross.  Then our spirits begin to pray in earnest.  Paul prayed three times to be delivered, three times not to be devoured by his weakness.  But God said to him, "I am powerfully in you when you face this difficulty head on.  My grace is sufficient for you."  Children of God, may we let our lives shine whether we are on the mountain of victory or in the valley of distress.  Often our lights glow best when we are experiencing the most problems in our lives.  Then, our lights are most dependent on the loving grace and mercy of our Lord Jesus.  Then, we need his power perfected in our difficulties.  WE NEED HIM TO BE OUR LIFE, AND WE KNOW THAT HE WILL NEVER FAIL US OR FORSAKE US.  We have learned to rejoice in the struggles of this life, for we serve a God who makes his strength perfect in our weaknesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment