ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

2 Corinthians 11:16-21

2 Corinthians 11:16-21  I repeat: Let no one take me for a fool.  But if you do, then receive me just as you would a fool, so that I may do a little boasting.  In this self-confident boasting I am not talking as the Lord would, but as a fool.  Since many are boasting in the way the world does, I too will boast.  You gladly put up with fools since you are so wise!  In fact, you even put up with anyone who enslaves you or exploits you or takes advantage of you or pushes himself forward or slaps you in the face.  To my shame I admit that we were too weak for that!  What anyone else dares to boast about — I am speaking as a fool — I also dare to boast about.

Today's passage is the beginning of a somewhat challenging section of Paul's second letter to the church at Corinth, for he seems to step out of character for a little while and to focus attention upon himself, much more than we usually see in Paul's writings.  Perhaps this focus comes from his desperation over their situation, perhaps it stems from an attempt to wake them up, but for sure we know it comes from his abiding love for these people that he considers his spiritual children.  Here we find a father willing to speak as a fool if that is what it takes to bring his children back on the right path.  He is going to recite to them a laundry list of his qualifications to regain their allegiance and respect, but before he does, he makes it clear that this may be the world's way of doing things, a fool's way, and perhaps not God's way.  He says that if I spoke as God would speak I would not need to boast, but since you are so impressed with the ways of the world, since you have been enticed by foolishness and willingly put up with fools, then I will abandon the gentle ways of my Lord and react as those you now respect and those who have enslaved and exploited you.

Paul seems to be putting into practice what he wrote in his earlier letter, To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law.  To the weak I became weak, to win the weak.  I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some.  (1 Corinthians 9:21-22)  He satirically says if you are so wise as to allow these false teachers into your lives out of respect for their qualifications, then look at mine.  If you are willing to let them abuse you and misuse you and thwart the advancement of the true gospel because you think they are important people, then consider my life and my experiences.  He writes he will dare to do that, meaning this is out of his comfort zone, and I believe it was.  Paul would not be inclined to focus their attention on his life, but he is so upset at this point that he truly is willing to do whatever it takes to win them back to the truth.  I think this cost him a great deal, and that is why he even calls himself a fool and uses such stern language towards people he loves dearly.  This is a crucial moment in his plea to their spiritual integrity, and Paul through the discernment of the Spirit knows that.

There are times in all of our lives when we become very frustrated with life, frustrated with circumstances that we can't seem to change or with people we love who are making choices that we know will not result in good fruit in their lives.  At those times, we may be tempted to react out of anger or some other negative human emotion.  In those times, we need the wisdom and guidance of the Holy Spirit.  We need the Lord to show us how to react in love and how to let the fruit of the Spirit come forth from our lives in abundant supply.  Sometimes that is easy and natural; other times we have to depend moment by moment upon the strength and power of the Lord--Christ in us the hope of glory.  Although Paul protests to the Corinthians that he is speaking foolishly, in today's passage and the verses that we will study next, I do not see a foolish man revealed before my eyes.  I see a man sold out to his Lord, a man who has given all, a man who has willingly paid the price again and again and again.  If he was a fool, he was a fool for Christ.  We all struggle, and when we do, I pray we will follow Paul's example and be able to say to those in our sphere of influence, "Follow me as I follow Christ."  If we are fools, let us be fools for the Lord.  Love, Mom (Jacqueline, filling in for Dad who is getting grandkids off to school this morning)

No comments:

Post a Comment