ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Saturday, June 6, 2009

2 Corinthians 11:7-12

2 Corinthians 11:7-12 Was it a sin for me to lower myself in order to elevate you by preaching the gospel of God to you free of charge? I robbed other churches by receiving support from them so as to serve you. And when I was with you and needed something, I was not a burden to anyone, for the brothers who came from Macedonia supplied what I needed. I have kept myself from being a burden to you in any way, and will continue to do so. As surely as the truth of Christ is in me, nobody in the regions of Achaia will stop this boasting of mine. Why? Because I do not love you? God knows I do! And I will keep on doing what I am doing in order to cut the ground from under those who want an opportunity to be considered equal with us in the things they boast about.

Paul was not taking any remuneration from the Corinthians for his teaching. Of course, to financially support a teacher for his instruction was a customary procedure at that time. But Paul did not want the Corinthians to say that he was preaching the gospel for a living; he did not want anything to hinder the purity of his work in their church. Nevertheless, the false prophets claimed that Paul did not really love the Corinthians as equals, for if he did love them like that, he would demand remuneration from them as he would any other community that he respected. Paul, of course, says that is foolishness because he loves the Corinthians so much that he does not want anything to distract them from wholeheartedly receiving the message of redemption. Paul cut the ground from underneath those false prophets who were probably teaching for status or for money alone.

We always need to evaluate carefully the reasons we are doing something for the Lord. As a young Christian, I was encouraged by many pastors to seek out the lost and to win their souls to Christ. Many times their basic message consisted of condemnation if I didn't do all I should do in seeking the salvation of people. I felt condemned and ineffectual in my Christian life. I felt guilty about not giving all my free time to the Lord for delivering people out of darkness. As I look back on those times, I realize I was trying to win my soul's place in heaven rather than other people's place in heaven by trying to convert them. I was seeking my security, not theirs. I wasn't functioning out of love for them; I was functioning out of fear and obligation. When we have that spirit in witnessing, no wonder people are so quick to close the door to us. They know it is about us, not them. We are trying to win our way to heaven by using them. Sometimes as Christians, we feel if we get so many "saved," then we are in a better relationship with God; we are doing the "right thing." However, if witnessing, if testifying, is about us and our eternal security, there is little love in the activity.

Paul is telling the Corinthians that he is serving out of love for them. He is not doing anything for his own best interests, what is right for him. He doesn't even want to take money from them because he doesn't want anything to motivate him other than his great love for them. When we deal with people, we need to pray for that love. God's love transforms us. Our own love for people can sometimes be degrading, for we are not really loving them for who they are if we are placing our interests above theirs. This kind of love is usually easily detectible, for it will get discouraged quickly if things don't go our way. A love that is transforming is an abiding love, an eternal love, one that never quits--God's love. A love initiated from the heart of man is a temporary love, a fleeting love that will quit easily. Paul loved the Corinthians so much that he endured all kinds of humiliation and pain. He definitely placed their interests above his interests. This is the love we want, loving others as God loves us.

No comments:

Post a Comment