ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Thursday, June 4, 2009

2 Corinthians 10:12-18

2 Corinthians 10:12-18  We do not dare to classify or compare ourselves with some who commend themselves.  When they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they are not wise.  We, however, will not boast beyond proper limits, but will confine our boasting to the field God has assigned to us, a field that reaches even to you.  We are not going too far in our boasting, as would be the case if we had not come to you, for we did get as far as you with the gospel of Christ.  Neither do we go beyond our limits by boasting of work done by others.  Our hope is that, as your faith continues to grow, our area of activity among you will greatly expand, so that we can preach the gospel in the regions beyond you.  For we do not want to boast about work already done in another man’s territory.  But, “Let him who boasts boast in the Lord.”  For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends. 

Paul is battling false prophets who had moved into the church of Corinth with errant doctrines.  They had come to supplant Paul's ministry in Corinth, not to help him.  They were causing confusion in the Corinthian church and leading many away into immoral lives.  In the above passage, Paul is reminding the Christians in Corinth that he brought the gospel of Christ to them first.  They are his ministering field.  He is their apostle.  He did not build on someone else's work, but he initiated the work there.  The false prophets were boasting about the work in Corinth as if it were theirs, but it was not their work; it was Paul's.  Paul will not boast about his work or anyone else's work, for he says, “Let him who boasts boast in the Lord.”  

We should also boast in the Lord's work, not ours.  If any good thing comes from our lives, we praise God for it.  We know the Lord is the one who brings righteousness to us.  He is the one who causes our lives to increase in goodness and service.  If any help to others comes from our lives, it is the Lord's help.  We are but servants; we do his will.  We should always be focused in that manner, focused on the One who sends us.  When we begin to focus on our exploits, on our abilities, we hamper the work of the Lord within us.  We hamper the flow of the Holy Spirit, for self gets in the way.  We start to need the praises of men before we will do anything for the Lord.  And when we actually do something for the Lord, and then we don't get the praises of men that we feel we deserve, we too easily quit doing the Lord's work.  We should always remind ourselves that He brings the increase in our lives.  He alone causes our lives to bear fruit.  We cannot and will not commend ourselves for anything good that comes from our actions; we will allow the Lord to do that.  

I often question the kind of fruit I am bringing forth.  Am I doing the will of God?  Is God receiving glory from my life?  Am I teaching the right things?  Am I leading people to better lives as believers or am I just leading them into confusion?   But I cannot tarry there in a quandary; by faith I must move on, trusting that God is in my activities and in my ministry.  Paul was moving on.  He wanted his ministry to grow in Corinth, so that he might move on to other regions.  In my personal life, in my spiritual activities, I must also move on.  I must keep pressing the issue that Jesus saves, that his work is enough, and that all who enter into his life will have life eternal if they endure to the end with faith in the one true God.

No comments:

Post a Comment