ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

2 Corinthians 10:1-6

2 Corinthians 10:1-6  By the meekness and gentleness of Christ, I appeal to you — I, Paul, who am “timid” when face to face with you, but “bold” when away!  I beg you that when I come I may not have to be as bold as I expect to be toward some people who think that we live by the standards of this world.  For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does.  The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world.  On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds.  We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.  And we will be ready to punish every act of disobedience, once your obedience is complete. 

In this passage Paul is saying that his words have power with God.  Even though in the flesh he is not very imposing, his position in Christ is very strong.  He tells the Corinthians he does not wage war against evil and disobedience within the church with the implements and nature of this world, but he wages war with the power of the Spirit, which has sealed his life in Christ.  He battles destructive forces within the church so that every thought in Christ's body will come into captivity to the mind of Christ.  He is warning the Corinthians that they cannot get away with being disobedient to God by not repenting of wayward lives.  I am afraid that when I come again my God will humble me before you, and I will be grieved over many who have sinned earlier and have not repented of the impurity, sexual sin and debauchery in which they have indulged.  (2 Corinthians 12:13)  He is warning them that if they do not repent, the Spirit of God would implement correction.  He also knew in Christ he had the power of God on his life, the keys of heaven.  I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” (Matthew 16:19) 

Christians who have the Spirit within them also have power and influence with God.  We might not see evidence of our prayers being carried out here on Earth, but God implements them in heaven.  He answers our prayers.  Therefore, we should always try to pray out of love, for we do have power with God.  Our prayers should be for healing, restoration, and salvation for our brothers and sisters in Christ.  God does break down every stronghold.  He is mighty to behold.  When we see things that are contrary to the will of God, we should pray for change.  If change does not happen, we should pray for victory in that area so that God will be glorified regardless.  This life is but a whisper, a wisp of smoke, but there will be justice someday.  No man, woman, or situation will meet God without payment for sin.  Sin will either have been dealt with at the cross or it will be dealt with at the judgment seat.  In this world sin might think it has won.  The killer might think he has gotten away with it, but the clock hasn't run out.  The last tick doesn't sound until after the judgment day.  Then time will be no more.  

Paul said, you might think that I am weak, that I can't do anything to you, but I am telling you my prayers will be answered.  I am not playing with an empty hand.  No, my deck is full, and the cards I play are mighty, even to the point of pulling down the devil's strongholds.  Paul is beseeching the Corinthians to clean up their lives, for there will be no arguments, no pretensions on the day of judgment.  All will bow, all will come under God's authority without a whimper of defense.  Therefore, children of God, always be ready to meet the Lord, for on that day, as Paul intimates, there will no more timid actions, no more meekness and gentleness of Christ, but there will be the bold words of right and wrong, the words of justice.  Today, Christ holds out mercy, grace, and love regardless of our failure, but we must turn to him and receive his free gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment