ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Saturday, June 27, 2009

1 Timothy 1:18-20

1 Timothy 1:18-20  Timothy, my son, I give you this instruction in keeping with the prophecies once made about you, so that by following them you may fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience.  Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked their faith.  Among them are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan to be taught not to blaspheme. 

1 Corinthians 5:3-5  Even though I am not physically present, I am with you in spirit.  And I have already passed judgment on the one who did this, just as if I were present.  When you are assembled in the name of our Lord Jesus and I am with you in spirit, and the power of our Lord Jesus is present, hand this man over to Satan, so that the sinful nature may be destroyed and his spirit saved on the day of the Lord. 

2 Timothy 2:8-13  Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead, descended from David.  This is my gospel, for which I am suffering even to the point of being chained like a criminal.  But God’s word is not chained.  Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory.  Here is a trustworthy saying: If we died with him, we will also live with him; if we endure, we will also reign with him.  If we disown him, he will also disown us; if we are faithless, he will remain faithful, for he cannot disown himself. 

The Bible indicates that we should fight the good fight to the end, endure, put on the whole armor of God, quit like men, in general be good soldiers of the cross.  Paul urges Timothy to keep his ministry on fire, to remember his call, to live a good life TO THE END.  The Lord says He will find no pleasure in those who quit.  In Matthew 13 we read a parable about the seed and the sower.  In that parable people quit for various reasons but mainly because they do not have a good root system in fertile ground, and they are easily snatched away or scorched or they wither or choke from the weeds around them.  Many left the "good news" and followed their own worldly inclinations to the detriment of their salvation.  When He gave this parable, Jesus said, "He who has ears, let him hear.”  

In this dark age of enticements and lies, I wonder how many Christians have decided to place Christ on the cross again and to follow their own inclinations.  I wonder how many kids from Christian families are now immersed in the devil's workshop, the world, when they grow up.  In today's passage Paul beseeches Timothy to remember his calling, to be true to his call, to go all the way with Jesus.  He wanted him to have ears to hear the voice of God.  Paul said although I am suffering even to the point of being chained like a criminal, I will continue the fight, for it is worth it because salvation IN CHRIST JESUS is the reward for me and for others to whom I am responsible.  Paul knew this life was but a wisp of smoke, a temporary abiding place.  He was living his life for higher stakes than this world's temporary demands.  He was living his life for an eternal home, a place where God abides.  He was in tune with God's will for his life. 

We also must keep that in mind.  Our goal is not completely achieved here.  We are like Abraham, temporary residents: By faith he made his home in the promised land like a stranger in a foreign country; he lived in tents, as did Isaac and Jacob, who were heirs with him of the same promise.  For he was looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God.  (Hebrews 11:9-10)  We will all die, our flesh will give up the ghost, but that which is left is heaven bound: our spirits.  We will live with in God's righteous domain forever if we remain IN CHRIST.  BUT IF WE DISOWN HIM, HE WILL ALSO DISOWN US.  Sweet and bitter water cannot come out of the same fountain.  However, if our faith wavers, if we feel weak, if our lives just don't measure up sometimes, he will remain faithful, for he cannot disown himself.  If we have any faith at all in Christ's efficacy, his salvation power, we will continue on to heaven.  

Will He discipline us?  Yes, for He disciplines those He loves.  But, we are still in the kingdom of heaven.  God's mercies are from everlasting to everlasting.  Whosoever will, will be saved.  Therefore, child of God, continue in Christ, regardless of your weak faith or lack of strength, regardless of your circumstances.  My dad used to say, "Hang onto Jesus."  That is what it means to quit yourselves like men.  (1 Samuel 4:9)  You will not turn back, regardless of your situation or your strength.  You will hang on to Jesus.  He will still be your song, no matter how weak the song is in your heart.  God is good, so don't disown him.  Don't place him on the cross again, to rid him from your life.  That is the act of a foolish and rebellious child.  No, sing a song of faith; sing a song of affirmation: To you, O LORD, I lift up my soul; in you I trust, O my God.  Do not let me be put to shame, nor let my enemies triumph over me.  No one whose hope is in you will ever be put to shame, but they will be put to shame who are treacherous without excuse.  Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.  Remember, O LORD, your great mercy and love, for they are from of old.  Remember not the sins of my youth and my rebellious ways; according to your love remember me, for you are good, O LORD.  (Psalm 25:1-7)

No comments:

Post a Comment