ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Monday, June 20, 2011

John 13:18-27

John 13:18-27 “I am not referring to all of you; I know those I have chosen. But this is to fulfill the scripture: ‘He who shares my bread has lifted up his heel against me.’ “I am telling you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe that I am He. I tell you the truth, whoever accepts anyone I send accepts me; and whoever accepts me accepts the one who sent me.” After he had said this, Jesus was troubled in spirit and testified, “I tell you the truth, one of you is going to betray me.” His disciples stared at one another, at a loss to know which of them he meant. One of them, the disciple whom Jesus loved, was reclining next to him. Simon Peter motioned to this disciple and said, “Ask him which one he means.” Leaning back against Jesus, he asked him, “Lord, who is it?” Jesus answered, “It is the one to whom I will give this piece of bread when I have dipped it in the dish.” Then, dipping the piece of bread, he gave it to Judas Iscariot, son of Simon. As soon as Judas took the bread, Satan entered into him.

As believers, we have heard many sermons about Christ breaking bread with his disciples and suddenly saying, I tell you the truth, one of you is going to betray me. We recall Sunday school handouts with an evil-looking Judas, money bag attached to his sash or by his plate, obviously set apart from the rest by the greedy look in his eye or his dark and furrowed brow, obviously the villain in the group about to slink away into the darkness. Jesus is extending a piece of bread to Judas in the picture we colored as we listened to a story about faithfulness to Jesus or whatever moral direction the lesson took that day. We should remember as we look at Christ's ministry over 2000 years ago and as we ask God to use the Word to speak into our lives today: spiritual realities are sometimes not quite as simplistic as we might want to make them. This event at the table represented a momentous fulfillment of prophecy. Jesus was troubled in spirit as He revealed what was to come to those He most loved. Christ took no pleasure in declaring that one He chose to follow him would turn upon him. He said He was telling them ahead of time because He wanted them to know that what would happen fulfilled scripture: He who shares my bread has lifted up his heel against me. Just as He wept over the Jerusalem that killed the prophets, his heart broke that one of his chosen would now receive the bread of sorrows. Judas sat at the table with the rest and was not discernible to the others as an evil man: His disciples stared at one another, at a loss to know which of them he meant. Jesus recognized him by the Spirit, and when Judas took the bread, Satan entered into him.

Sometimes we expect the enemy to come with little horns and a pointy tail, but he fits in with everyone else. The Bible often speaks of the deceptions of the enemy, good and bad fruit, the works of the flesh and the fruit of the Spirit. Speaking of good fruit, Jesus said, Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them. (Matthew 7:15-20) These verses remind us to be alert and aware. We often look at outward signs and appearances. We attach ourselves to friendships, causes, and activities that seem good for a while. Later disillusionment sinks in when we find a rotten or grotesque core contrary to what we saw on the surface. Our pastor son, Doug, gave an inspiring message on Sunday. In passing, he mentioned something we have discussed: people who never say, "I am sorry." We have known friends and relatives we have never heard say those words, not ever. It is as if they have the sense they are always right and the rest of the world is always wrong. Now we try to give these people grace, thinking they are perhaps so deeply wounded or insecure they "need to be right." Maybe the thought of being wrong is more than they can take, a threat to their identity and personhood. But we know that it must be incredibly hard for their families and their friends to prosper emotionally under these constraints. A "sorry" would help.

Regardless, if you have allied yourself closely with a person with all the answers, a domineering or controlling person, you should draw back and pray about the relationship. After saying the bad trees would be thrown into the fire, Jesus added, Not everyone who says to me, "Lord, Lord," will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, "Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?" Then I will tell them plainly, "I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!" (Matthew 7:21-23) We speak of grace more than anything in these breakfasts because we possess a covenant of amazing grace--lavished upon us with mercy, redeemed by the blood of Christ. Yet the Bible is written to the church: the Word continually instructs believers to walk by faith, to choose the narrow way. We must stand firm in the Lord, dear friends, as Paul instructed, adding, Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. (Philippians 4:1 & 4) We cannot prosper spiritually as occasional Christians. We will not thrive in an atmosphere of guilt and shame or in an environment of worldliness with values contrary to God's Word. Since, then, you have been raised with Christ set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. (Colossians 3:1-2) Hear our prayer, Oh Lord! Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment