ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Thursday, June 2, 2011

John 12:27-33

John 12:27-33 “Now my heart is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. Father, glorify your name!” Then a voice came from heaven, “I have glorified it, and will glorify it again.” The crowd that was there and heard it said it had thundered; others said an angel had spoken to him. Jesus said, “This voice was for your benefit, not mine. Now is the time for judgment on this world; now the prince of this world will be driven out. But I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to myself.” He said this to show the kind of death he was going to die.

Jesus emptied himself to follow the Spirit's leading to the cross. He understood He was sent as the Lamb of God for the redemption of all people. Today's text exposes his humanness as He ponders whether to say, Father, save me from this hour. He rightfully answers, No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. Father, glorify your name! This apparent self-searching and the Father's reply did not take place for Christ's benefit. Jesus did not need human words to speak to the God of the Universe because He heard his Father's voice. Late on the path to Calvary, He did not experience a sudden heart change; He did not require a sign from heaven; his spirit was in direct contact with the Holy Spirit. God could have ministered to his Son directly. Jesus spoke aloud and God answered for the benefit of the onlookers, the listeners: the people God chose to redeem through the blood of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. (Revelation 13:8) Consequently, the people heard Jesus; then they heard a voice that some said resounded as the voice of an angel while others heard thunder as a voice came from heaven, saying, I have glorified it [my name], and will glorify it again. When God speaks out loud, people listen. Father God wanted believers and unbelievers alike to remember that day, to remember THE I AM spoke audibly, confirming his grace gift in the Son. Weak and powerless, Jesus who knew no sin would bear the sins of all. The man who raised Lazarus from the dead would not save himself from dying a criminal's death on a cruel cross. But when the stone was rolled away to expose an empty tomb, the Spirit of the living God would remind them of the day when a voice like thunder validated the one who had said, And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.
When our hearts are troubled by the vicissitudes of life and the burdens on our shoulders feel too heavy to bear, how do we respond? What is our first reaction to hardships, sorrows, and the storms of life we face at one time or another? Sometimes we demand, Father, save me from this hour! We ask for deliverance yet find it hard to believe He has a plan for our lives when we do not receive the answers we want. We are not always willing to pray, No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. Father, glorify your name! We often lack the grace to fall on our knees before the Lord, praying as Christ taught us to pray: Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. . . (Matthew 6:9-10) We need to ask God to glorify his name in all the parts of our lives as we declare with the saints through all the ages, Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him [God]. (Job 13:15) Praying for deliverance is not wrong: we should pray without ceasing, believe, hope, and trust in the Lord--expect miracles and praise God for the many wondrous answers to prayer He has granted to us. But if God trusts us with fiery trials, if we are caught in situations that seem impossible, and we feel as if He is leading us on a long path toward a cross experience, we need to be able to pray, "Not my will but yours be done." We should boldly put on the full armor of God and stand fast against the enemy by faith in Christ our Lord.

The crowds rejoiced over the miracles of Christ's ministry but basically abandoned him at the cross. We should be encouraged by miraculous answers to prayer. We should also give praise when someone glorifies God through persevering faith by pressing in and pressing on, counting on Christ until the final victory. Faith is our victory, the knowledge that nothing is too difficult for God, the belief that Jesus is seated at the right hand of the Father, making intercession for every child of God, making his strength perfect in weakness. The ultimate victory is to glorify Christ no matter what we experience. Every Christian in every situation can say, Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, for I know that through your prayers and the help given by the Spirit of Jesus Christ, what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance. I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. (Philippians 1:18b-21) Jesus shared a troubled heart to show He understood sorrow and pain but won the victory, becoming our Way, our truth, our Life! God spoke clearly that we might know Jesus as Lord of all. If you are struggling, look to Christ: He will lift you up. He loves you, seeks you, knows your name. He is your portion, your Savior. He did not go away and leave you comfortless: you are not walking alone on a difficult path. He gently beckons you to his side: to walk, talk, and abide with him. Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. (Matthew 11:28-30)

No comments:

Post a Comment