ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Monday, June 13, 2011

John 12:47-50

John 12:47-50 “As for the person who hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge him. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save it. There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day. For I did not speak of my own accord, but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and how to say it. I know that his command leads to eternal life. So whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say.”

As Jesus walked this Earth, He communed with the Father and spoke with the people He came to serve and to win for eternity. Now He declares He is not the judge of those who reject his words. Paradoxically, the word He has spoken will condemn mankind at the last day, but Christ did not come in his own name or according to his own will. He confidently tells the crowd, the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and how to say it. I know that his command leads to eternal life. So whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say. Throughout his teaching Jesus steadfastly announced that He did not come to judge, that the Father does not want to judge. Revisit the scene of the woman caught in adultery and hear Jesus, the only one present without sin, who could have picked up that first stone. Yet He says, Neither do I condemn you; go your way. From now on sin no more. ( John 8:11b) Immediately the Pharisees accuse Jesus of bearing false witness. He says, Even if I bear witness of Myself, My witness is true; for I know where I came from, and where I am going; but you do not know where I come from, or where I am going. You people judge according to the flesh; I am not judging anyone. But even if I do judge, My judgment is true; for I am not alone in it, but I and He who sent Me. (John 8:14-16) A little while later Jesus tells the people He is going away, and they will die in their sins unless they turn to him. Still offering mercy rather than judgment, Jesus turns to those Jews who had believed him, saying, If you abide in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. (John 8:31 NASB)

As believers fully committed to our Lord, we should be able to say we do what the Father tells us to do. Unfortunately as somewhat flawed human beings, we often do and say that which justifies our territory or the intents or purposes of our hearts, our personal agenda, or the way we feel on a particular day. We pick and choose the words of Christ that we want to follow because some of them seem just a bit much, over the top so to speak. This discipleship and dying to self talk can be taken too far, can't it? Yet the Bible says our lives will be evaluated by the words of Jesus, the words we claim to believe and to uphold yet often ignore. Actually, we can't quibble on this because there are no easy outs provided in scripture. The Bible is clear: God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. (1 John 1:5-10) When we say, we love God but do not support his words, his work, his body, and his kingdom: we lie. We lie to him and to ourselves. And we face defeat, pain, sorrow, and despair. We do not present a living and loving example of Christ to a needy and often searching world living in darkness and in need of light.

Often we fall into these pits because we are hurt or angry: we have something against someone or we hold onto our despair. We feel wounded, damaged, forsaken, alienated; and we cannot find our way back home. Do you have something against someone or think you are so lost you cannot come back to the Father's house? You may consider your reasons valid for holding onto that hurt or pain or that grudge or resentment. But as a believer, we must realize in the game of life that is when we pass the ball to Jesus. We are not strong enough in ourselves to heal our own brokenness, to touch deep wounds, to mend our orphan hearts, or to find our way through dark forests with no clear pathway home. We have to call out to Jesus, get real about where we are. Just tell him: "I am sucking air, drowning in guilt and shame, just about out of here, Jesus, ready to exit the gym. I am holding on by one slim thread. I know I sound pitiful and I am. I don't feel as if I deserve a team jersey, and I can't for the life of me run this play. I know because I've tried so hard, so many times that I'm suffering from spiritual malnutrition, and that is my fault. I am weak, weary, embarrassed, and unworthy to sit on the bench as a team member. I want to run a play to love this person or let go of this pain, but Satan has me cornered. Help me, Lord: I fall before you, and I'm passing you the ball. Here's my sorrow, hurt, anger, suffering, and anguish. I know you were wounded for my transgressions and bruised for my iniquities. I want to forgive as you forgave me. Let's do this, Jesus! It's our house! It's our court! You said, It is finished! There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. (Romans 8:1) Thank you, Jesus!" When we walk by faith we join all of creation in an eternal conversation with God: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Just as the angels announced: his kingdom will never end and lives today in every person who calls on the name of Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment