ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

John 13:1-17

John 13:1-17 It was just before the Passover Feast. Jesus knew that the time had come for him to leave this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he now showed them the full extent of his love. The evening meal was being served, and the devil had already prompted Judas Iscariot, son of Simon, to betray Jesus. Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him. He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, “Lord, are you going to wash my feet?” Jesus replied, “You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand.” “No,” said Peter, “you shall never wash my feet.” Jesus answered, “Unless I wash you, you have no part with me.” “Then, Lord,” Simon Peter replied, “not just my feet but my hands and my head as well!” Jesus answered, “A person who has had a bath needs only to wash his feet; his whole body is clean. And you are clean, though not every one of you.” For he knew who was going to betray him, and that was why he said not every one was clean. When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. “Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them. “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.

Today's breakfast includes a longer passage than usual, for to separate these verses takes something away from the impact of Christ's preparation for the cross. Knowing the time had come for him to leave this world and go to the Father, Jesus got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him. Peter reacts with astonished surprise: Lord, are you going to wash my feet? Typically, Jesus says Peter does not understand. Paying little attention, Peter remonstrates, No, you shall never wash my feet. As with any discussion with the Lord, when we stop to listen, Jesus wins every time. When Peter finally hears the Lord's words, Unless I wash you, you have no part with me, he says, Then, Lord, not just my feet but my hands and my head as well. Jesus make sense when our spiritual ears are opened. Dad has been quite ill for the last week. In times of sickness, we can retreat into ourselves in self-pity or we can draw closer with an ear to hear what God is saying. Oftentimes, we do some of each. This morning, Dad was meditating and thinking upon the Lord, singing songs from the Lord. At one point, he heard these words with his inner ear: "I have chosen you to be just like me." As he pondered these words, they became a song in his heart, a song from God to him and a song of praise back to the Father.

God chose each one of us in Christ as sons and daughters. Countless scriptures confirm God chose us in him [Christ] before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight according to his eternal plan for us to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth. (Ephesians 1:4 & 2 Thessalonians 2:13) Therefore, because of his great love for us, He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created. (James 1:18) Consequently, knowing how great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God, should we not wash the feet of others? Should we not wrap loving arms around the ones we are supposed to love? And if we don't, who will? If we don't encourage the downhearted, who will? If we do not care for the poor with tender mercies and loving kindness, who will? If we don't provide for orphans, who will? If we don't bring the LIGHT into dark places, who will? As Jesus ministers to his beloved disciples, He reveals the full extent of his love by serving. We who are alive IN CHRIST are his servants, his body, his hand extended on planet Earth. If we do not carry out our reasonable service, when we feel like and when we do not, who will? So many times, people sign up for God's army, but we do not count the cost. Hey, this is great, I got my sword and my shield, all my heavy-duty armor: bring it on! Jesus and I can do anything. A two week skirmish is a piece of cake, a month--yes, I can do all things through Christ, can't I? Then the battle gets hot and heavy, and we are looking for a way out.

Read the Book, brothers and sisters in Christ. Writing to his fellow believers, Peter said, Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. (1 Peter 4:12) Paul said, We also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. (Romans 5:4) Jesus knew He faced the cross; yet instead of withdrawing to ease his own spirit or to minister to his own personal pain, He reveals divine purposes to the disciples by serving, teaching, encouraging, and promising victory. This is Dad speaking now, and I usually avoid including very much personal information because Mom and I want to point to Christ and not to focus much upon ourselves. Mom would not want to call attention to herself, but as some of you know, my dear wife must choose daily to redirect the focus of her life away from her pain and many disabilities to hearing God's voice and to focusing on others by revealing the love of God in Christ Jesus to hurting and wounded people in need of Jesus and the power of the cross. This is never easy, for without the discipline of serving, she could easily and justifiably go back to bed and tend to her own needs. For me, her life illustrates today's scriptures and theme: "I HAVE CHOSEN YOU TO BE JUST LIKE ME."

Is such talk audacious? No, Jesus told his disciples, “Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them. “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. Later, Jesus promises, I will send you the Counselor—the Spirit of truth. He encourages:
Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.
(John 15:26 & 16:33 NLT) He says Follow me despite the trials of life and promises to keep them for all eternity and to rise victoriously over death and the grave! I woke two nights ago with the Comforter talking to me. After feeling somewhat troubled in my spirit earlier in the night, I woke, hearing that still small voice, saying, "I want to talk to you, Cliff." Then He began to talk to me about my life being a book of love. When the Lord takes me home to be with him, this book will go directly to the Father. He will read this book to me and tell me what all of us want hear from God's lips: "Enter into my rest, my good and faithful servant." This breakfast is more personal than most. The Spirit is speaking a little more urgently at the table today as He asks each person: "How does your book read? How have you filled the pages? Are the pages filled mostly with self or are you making room for serving others: loving family, friends, and neighbors? Are there chapters for serving the lost: the unlovely, the hateful, those no one wants to serve? Will your book be placed into the holy library chute directly to Jesus or on that cart to the great corridor of darkness, never to be read again?" God wants to read our books, every loving line written there. He longs to say, "Well done. . ."

No comments:

Post a Comment