ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Friday, June 10, 2011

John 12:44-46

John 12:44-46 Then Jesus cried out, “When a man believes in me, he does not believe in me only, but in the one who sent me. When he looks at me, he sees the one who sent me. I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness."

Preparing for the cross Jesus leaves no doubt about his identity, purpose, and commission. No one who walked beside him, witnessed the miracles, or heard the voice of thunder from heaven affirming him as the Lamb of God could doubt He was the Christ. To erase any confusion, He plainly declares, "If you see me, you see the one who sent me." Christ made himself known before all people from the first days of his ministry to the last, leaving the people without excuse when they would stand before God. His message never varied; He never strayed in his steadfast obedience to the Father. How closely Christ's words late in his ministry line up with his early statement to Nicodemus, I assure you, unless you are born again, you can never see the Kingdom of God. This learned man asks, How can an old man go back into his mother’s womb and be born again? Jesus replies,
The truth is, no one can enter the Kingdom of God without being born of water and the Spirit.
But most importantly, He adds the answer to the human dilemma: For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. . .The light from heaven came into the world, but they loved the darkness more than the light, for their actions were evil. They hate the light because they want to sin in the darkness. They stay away from the light for fear their sins will be exposed and they will be punished. (John 3:3-5, 16, & 18b-20 NLT) A little child could understand the words of life Christ spoke on dusty roads, beside lakes, in boats, inside people's homes, while performing wondrous deeds, as he suffered insults while standing boldly in temple courts. Yet supposedly wise men turned their faces from him, choosing to stay in darkness rather than accept the grace and love of the One who sent Jesus into the world as a light.

Jesus must have held many thoughts to his breast that day: we do not know, for we only know what He chose to share. We do know that John says Jesus cried out, allowing us to sense his urgency, the immediacy of his awareness that the hour was nigh of which He was now speaking when He would be lifted up from the earth and would draw all men to himself (12:32); consequently, He did not want to waste any words. Unequivocally, He desired to impart the most important truths of his ministry one more time to those with an ear to hear what the Spirit was saying, to those who would recall what He had said after the Day of Pentecost, when the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, would come upon them, reminding them of what He had said. (See John 14:26) We think back to an earlier instance where we saw this same intensity in Christ's behavior, heard this same passionate voice when Jesus suddenly shows up teaching in the Temple courts where the crowds recognize him as the one the Jewish leaders are trying to arrest. They think He may be demon-possessed, and Jesus tells them, “I did one miracle, and you are all astonished. . .Stop judging by mere appearances, and make a right judgment.” Then Jesus, still teaching in the temple courts, cried out, “Yes, you know me, and you know where I am from. I am not here on my own, but he who sent me is true. You do not know him, but I know him because I am from him and he sent me.” (John 7:21, 24, & 27b-29)

What does Christ cry out today? No matter what we face, He cares. He will tell you to persevere, but He will also strengthen and encourage. "Listen to me, my son, my daughter," says the Lord. "I know you are weary. I saw that boulder in the road. You were caught off guard momentarily, but I am proud of you for getting up so fast, brushing yourself off, taking my hand and saying, 'I will trust in you, Lord, for my hope is in you.'" He will use the Word to speak to you if you will listen to the still small voice, saying: "I am more than enough for you, child of mine. I am your total sufficiency, your strength for today. You know me: you know I am your strength and your song, for I have become your Salvation. I am your God. Exalt me, praise me; and I will be your Peace, your Joy, your Hope, your Strength. For I have lifted you out of the bottomless pit, set your feet upon the Rock and established your going. I have put a new song in your hearts. I am your refuge, your strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Sing in the morning of my love, for I am your refuge in trouble, your fortress. Do not despair. Young men and women may glory in their youthful strength, but I delight in all my warriors. Grey hair is the splendor of the old. I am the God of your salvation; trust and do not be afraid. I am your strength, your song. I give strength to the weary and increase the power of the weak. When no one supports you, and you feel deserted, I will be your strength and deliver you from the lion’s mouth. I will rescue you from every evil attack and bring you safely to my heavenly kingdom for ever and ever." All those statements are paraphrased from Bible verses. (See Exodus 15:2, Psalm 40, Psalm 10, Psalm 59, Proverbs 20:29, Isaiah 12:2 &40:5, 2 Timothy 4:16-18) Be encouraged today, and hear God's voice: He is speaking, always crying out with a clear voice to those with an ear to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment