ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Thursday, April 28, 2011

John 10:39-42

John 10:39-42 Then Jesus went back across the Jordan to the place where John had been baptizing in the early days. Here he stayed and many people came to him. They said, “Though John never performed a miraculous sign, all that John said about this man was true.” And in that place many believed in Jesus.

Two days ago we saw Jesus go back across the Jordan and stay a while to minister to people's needs. We discussed that believers should be available to those in our own sphere of influence, those we meet each day and not simply when we make time or when we feel spiritual enough for ministry or equipped for the task set before us. Yesterday, we decided to just stop and ponder for a while and to consider what we have seen and heard thus far in our study of John. In our nearly fifty years of serving God as a couple, we find that when people wait for a convenient time to serve God, the enemy makes sure to place enough roadblocks and troubles in their way that they do not ever have time or sufficient resources or the right giftings to fulfill a consistent role in the body of Christ. The excuses are endless: "Let someone else do that job. As for me, I am just not the right kind of person. I am too busy, and I have to work too hard at my job. My kids are too naughty. Our family is always sick or something just seems to interfere. I would just mess it up anyway. You know me: I just wasn't cut out for this servant stuff. I'm not talented like other people are."

Yet we are without excuse before the Lord who gave everything for us and promises that He makes his strength perfect in our weakness when we yield control to him. We do whatever IS MOST IMPORTANT to us. When Jesus said that we should bear good fruit, He asked: Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say? (Luke 6:46) Jesus went on to say, The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field. (Luke 10:2) Paul did not depend upon his natural abilities, his education, or his standing as a Pharisee among Pharisees. He knew
the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written: “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate." Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this are? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? Therefore, as it is written: "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord." (1 Corinthians 1:18-21 & 31)

Below are more comments from some of you since we began the study of John last November. If you missed yesterday's breakfast, go back and read those remarks as well. They reflect hearts hungry for daily manna and thirsty for living water. Such faith from men and women desiring to take up the cross and to follow Jesus humbles, encourages, and strengthens us to listen to God's voice, to get into the "kitchen" and to discover what He has in mind for his dearly loved sons and daughters, including us. A blessing on your heads! Love, Dad and Mom

1. A good word. Our hope does rest in Christ alone. So many times I feel a desperateness to numb the pain inside me. Quick! Call someone, eat, watch a movie, drink coffee, get out of my house, don't sleep, take meds. These are all things I will do to try and escape pain. Not even to feel joy. Just not to hurt. I know that in Jesus is a better answer. The only real answer. Thank you for the reminder. I love you very very much.

2. Finally, I get to graze in the pasture (the right pasture). Amen & Hallelujah. I have always said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. If the truth be known (and the TRUTH will set you FREE, right?) I LOVE to EAT ALL the TIME, especially the True Word of God. And the way He breathes it into you guys, so you then can lovingly fix a meal or a snack with it, to feed His sheep! It is a WOW from me & a Thank You, Thank You, Thank You from the bottom of my heart! I'm a SHEEP! Baa! Baa!

3. I love the "I pass judgment on no one. But if I do judge, my decisions are right, because I am not alone." What a powerful expression of His authority and surrender. These words He is speaking, are the words of the Father. It is not Jesus judging, it is the Father Judging the world through Jesus. Because God judges the world through Jesus, we see the power of the cross. This is not Jesus saving us only. The Cross is the Father and the Son saving us! Jesus is following the Father's lead, laying down his life as a testimony of the Father's will. Therefore, his sacrifice has the authority of the Son, and the Father, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

4. I’m cutting these sentences and pasting them on my wall to remind me of your breakfast today. "The affliction occurred so that the work of God might be displayed in his life. The story confirms God's desire to change lives regardless of the situation, in spite of the circumstances." Thanks for the sustenance.

5. Wow again a very powerful breakfast!!!! If I was sitting in the pew of a Southern Church, I would be yelling, “preach it”. Human beings are scary. We can be savagely evil beyond reason or understanding, and that ability is rooted within ALL of us. Born into the wrong family or situation, we see that generational sin can destroy even the most innocent of God’s creation, and instead a foul mouthed, angry, murderous being can arise into adulthood. Evil waits to devour all who are willing to stray but there is also a Shepherd who goes after each wayward sheep and offers us this gate to His pasture. We must hear His voice and also help others to find His way. We need to remain in His pasture and call out to those He calls. Come join us for truth is in this place. As His people we will be able to go in and out of this gate and remain in Him, but we must hear his voice and listen to His spirit to find and keep to His way. Thanks again for sharing another great word from God.

6. Thank you for again drawing my eyes back to what is needed, back to the true life Jesus purchased at the Cross. _____ and I are quite busy here in So. California conducting the ministry of _____, and it is so easy to allow the 'urgent' to trump the 'expedient.' Doing stuff FOR God can never replicate or replace intimacy WITH Him. Reminders such as yours are SO timely, not because we have walked away from God, but we seem to forget we are His home, where He has chosen to reside. Ephesians 3:17 says, "I pray that Christ will be more and more 'at home' in your hearts as you trust in Him." I do love that picture: that my heart would be homey, comfortable, and inviting to Jesus. Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment