ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

John 10:11-15

John 10:11-15 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The hired hand is not the shepherd who owns the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me — just as the Father knows me and I know the Father — and I lay down my life for the sheep.

Christ the good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. Jesus came not to rule and to reign on this earth but to suffer and to die as the as the spotless sacrificial Lamb. As far back as the time of Moses, the Bible describes a fallen humankind as sheep without a shepherd. (Numbers 27:17) Jesus looked at the hurting crowds and had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. (Matthew 9:36) Christ our Savior loved in the name of his Father, and the evil in the hearts of men and women did not deter him. He was not a hired hand, not one to run away when the assignment demanded everything. As He looked upon people's inclination to go astray and to turn to their own way, He did not rant and rave as many do in our day. He did not speak evil of those around him. As he looked upon the lost, He uttered one of the most tender entreaties ever heard by human ears: “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing! (Matthew 23:37)

When Christ called his disciples to join him, He called them not to a life of ease or personal luxury but to take up the cross and to follow him wherever He might lead. He called them to be imitators of him and not to turn back. Jesus sent forth a consistent call to those who had ears to hear. "Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will make you fishers of men. . . Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. . . Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. . . Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” (Matthew 4:19, 10:37-39, 16:24, & 19:21)

Following Jesus as a servant to all remains fundamental to a walk of peace, hope, and joy in Christ. Believers cannot be servants of God and the world simultaneously. Jesus said, No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. (Matthew 6:24) Likewise, we cannot serve ourselves first and foremost and effectively serve others or prefer their needs above our own. God wants us to be willing to lay down our lives for others. Before his death on the cross, Jesus knew his disciples lacked the power to commit fully to him, so He told them He would send the Holy Spirit, the Comforter from on high, to give them power to overcome the world and to infuse them with strength from on high. A little later in our story we will hear Peter promise Jesus that he will lay down his life for him, yet Jesus knew Peter would soon betray him. After he came alive unto God through the power of the Holy Spirit, Peter became an unquenchable voice for God, a shepherd to the sheep that God gave to him and it cost him everything. God has always called ordinary people to do extraordinary deeds for him through the power of our resurrected Lord.

As Jesus gave his life for the sheep, we should give ourselves for others; yet even parents have trouble with that role. Many Christian parents want their children's lives to revolve around them or add to their own well-being. This parent says, "Let the children fit into my plans, meet my needs. I WORK HARD AND SHOULD TAKE CARE OF MYSELF FIRST; THEN I'LL TAKE CARE OF THE KIDS." How many children want to honor their parents, knowing they do not love them unconditionally and unreservedly? How many friends would remain your friends if you treated them as you treat your children? Would they want to sit on your couch while you lecture, embarrass, and berate them; as you tell them to shut up and act as if you have all the answers; when you demand absolute respect, but rarely if ever apologize, and they see your many faults every day? Not many. How many sheep would listen to the Good Shepherd's voice if He judged them, refused to lay down his life for them, and angrily said, "These sheep are bad sheep, Father, send them away. I want to live for myself. Forget about your will on Earth as it is in Heaven"? Good shepherds don't lecture; they don't control or manipulate through fear and punishment. As they look at wounded hearts and broken spirits, they weep with compassion and love to the uttermost, saying, "Come to me, all who are thirsty. I will run to you, forgive you, help you, cover you, guide you, strengthen you, set you on the right path, and lead you home. We will rejoice with great joy and be exceedingly glad forevermore." We are the sheep of God's pastures and He loves us, oh how He loves us!

No comments:

Post a Comment