ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

John 10:19-30

John 10:19-30 At these words the Jews were again divided. Many of them said, “He is demon-possessed and raving mad. Why listen to him?” But others said, “These are not the sayings of a man possessed by a demon. Can a demon open the eyes of the blind?” Then came the Feast of Dedication at Jerusalem. It was winter, and Jesus was in the temple area walking in Solomon’s Colonnade. The Jews gathered around him, saying, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.” Jesus answered, “I did tell you, but you do not believe. The miracles I do in my Father’s name speak for me, but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.”

No one can snatch them out of my hands confirms the security of the believer: we are safe IN HIS HANDS. Nonetheless, many religious people create a taxonomy to judge another's right to enter the sheepfold. They take grace plus the law or good works or worshiping on Saturday at the true Sabbath as a requirement for acceptance as a true sheep. A supposedly saintly lifestyle according to a particular group's definition becomes the standard for acceptance: Does the woman wear modest clothing, avoid looking too provocative? Does the man control his family, discipline his children regularly? Do they stay away from R rated movies, shun their worldly neighbors who swear and openly engage in evil? Do they bring their tithes into the storehouse, attend church regularly, vote for the right candidates? Check, check, check, check: they must be sheep in right standing. "Enter into the community of the sheep," the other sheep smugly say. "You meet our standards and are as we are: good and faithful sheep."

Paul rebuked the Galatians: Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh? (3:3) Human additions to grace make the gospel of Christ of no effect. He told them, I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel — which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned! (Galatians 1:6-9) Adding onto the grace of God makes Christ's death and resurrection of none effect. Jesus was God's perfect plan. He fulfilled the law of sin and death.

Sadly, we insult the price Jesus paid to rescue the perishing, to save us when we were without hope, when we go back to the law. Grace is not won through outward effort or merited through human actions. God freely gave his salvation plan to all who would believe in the Son. Jesus said, My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. By faith in his works, we hear his voice, we accept his gifts; and no one can snatch us from his hands. Because of his great love for us, we accept his free gift of grace; and we also answer his the call to love others because He said, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35) Peter carried on this theme, saying, Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for your brothers, love one another deeply, from the heart. (1 Peter 1:22)

But what about the law, the circumspect lifestyle? The Holy Spirit causes us to triumph over sin. He is our Counselor, our Comforter, a Light in the darkness, guiding and directing our lives. No one has the authority to judge God's elect: we are accountable solely to the Father. But we are responsible. Paul declared: Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Galatians 6:7-10) God alone knows our hearts, our intentions. Our lives are in his hands. Knowing our hearts, He gives us grace and keep us from falling when we trust in him. He is our righteousness, our all in all. We no longer follow the letter of the law or the dictates of the world, whether good or bad. We rely upon the Spirit to lead us through the wilderness of life. Every one of us has a different journey, yet each is vitally important. When we walk in the fullness of Christ, Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming. Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ. From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work. (Ephesians 4:14-16) Rejoice, you are his sheep!

No comments:

Post a Comment