ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Saturday, November 27, 2010

John 2:1-10

John 2:1-10 On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there, and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no more wine.” “Dear woman, why do you involve me?” Jesus replied. “My time has not yet come.” His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.” Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons. Jesus said to the servants, “Fill the jars with water”; so they filled them to the brim. Then he told them, “Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.” They did so, and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside and said, “Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now.”

“Do whatever he tells you,” remains the quintessential instruction for every servant of the Most High. Following the Lord's exact directives may seem pointless or even foolish at times, but such obedience not only pleases God, the end result will confirm the beauty and rightness of his commands. Surely, the wedding servant must have thought: water in, water out. But that was neither the truth or the final reality of this story or its application to us: miracles happen when we trust and obey our Lord. God always has an overriding plan always makes something beautiful and worthwhile from a life fully yielded to unquestioning and loyal service to his word. As we follow Jesus and hearken to the Holy Spirit's voice of wisdom and action, we receive beauty for ashes and the oil of joy for mourning; life is worth living. In today's story the master realized that Jesus produced better wine than he had made or purchased for the event. Jesus' wine is always richer and more satisfying than the world's. His living bread and his holy wine sustain his people as we sit at his table and do not jump up to run in every direction on many false paths. Whether one partakes of the Lord as a youth or in old age, better is the wine of the Lord than the best the world has to offer.

When I was young, unsure of my direction or what life had to offer, the Lord clearly told me I was to be a teacher. What a foolish directive for a timid young man who accepted a failing grade rather than give a speech in from of a class at school. What an outlandish directive for one with no real college preparation, no support from parents, and no money set aside for college expenses. No one else in my family had gone to college, and my dad strongly opposed such an action. His aspiration for me was to learn a trade or try to get on at the aluminum factory near the edge of town. But I stubbornly believed and held onto the message I heard from that still small voice: I have called you to be a teacher. God performed miracles too many to count for me to attend my first quarter at Eastern Washington College beginning with directing me how to initiate even the registration process, for I had no knowledge of the actions I should take and no solicitous parent or attentive school counselor alongside to smooth my way. But God had a plan, and the Spirit is the great Counselor. When God put living water into my life, his wine poured forth. Was the way smooth and easy? No, hard work, toil, uncertainly filled many a day, but trust and perseverance led to each next step. By faith I stepped into an impossible world with daunting tasks at hand: God led the way preforming miracle after miracle on my journey. The victory was mine by faith as I obeyed and followed my Lord where He led.

The same God who stirred my young heart to faith and action transforms water into wine today. He still takes the rags of our lives and makes something beautiful and good. Please, open your ears to God's words; incline your heart to his leading. Is He asking you to pour mere water into empty jars? Are his requests seemingly impossible or even foolish? I challenge you to take the first step in obedience to his summons. One day at a time, place your trust in him and walk where He leads you. Let tomorrow take care of itself. Walking close to Jesus, in his footsteps, remains the first and most important aspect of the journey. The servants in our story performed what we call manual labor or scut work, the lifting of the heavy jugs and the hauling of the water to fill them. But they did it: they fulfilled Jesus' request and as John the Baptist, they prepared the way of the Lord. A mighty miracle awaited their response to his call. If you now face confusing, difficult, or arduous work; you may question its validity or sorrow because you seemingly labor alone without supportive assistance. JUST DO IT! And do it now. Do not go back to bed or escape into fruitless activities or mind-numbing emptiness. Definitely, do not remain in a pit of despair or self-pity. Arise and say, "Speak Lord, your servant listens. Here am I, use me." Join in with the making of today's wine. The Master's final product in your life will satisfy you and others more than you can imagine. Jesus says, Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet. Obey his voice and at the end of the day, hear him say, "Enter into the rest prepared for you, my good and faithful servant."

No comments:

Post a Comment