ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Saturday, November 20, 2010

John 1:14-18

John 1:14-18 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. John testifies concerning him. He cries out, saying, “This was he of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’” From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another. For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the Father’s side, has made him known.

Jesus, the Word, became flesh and made his dwelling among us: He, the One and Only who is at the Father's side, made God known to us. Jesus Christ brought God's mercy and grace to Earth in human form. He expiated and eradicated the sins of all mankind by yielding himself as a sacrifice for all, and for all time. He cleared the slate for whosoever would believe in him and accept the fullness of his grace. Truly, He has set every believer free from the chains of sin and the fear of death. What wonderful news: joy to the world indeed! Consequently, John could emphatically declare: From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another. IN CHRIST, we receive the continuous blessings of this grace and truth and all the benefits of Christ's sacrifice as we embrace the cross and trust our Lord. As new creatures, we stand by faith before the Father without blemish, perfect through the blood of Jesus, full of the joy of our salvation, ready to listen and to obey him.

Yet, how quickly some of us forget the wondrous blessings of God. In our humanness and lack of faith, we look for the next shoe to fall, filtering our present circumstances through our past experiences rather than through Christ's sufficiency. Oftentimes, we live in anxiety: fearing the next problem, the next sickness, or our pending death; rather than resting in Jesus, our provider, Lord, and King. Paul said, if there is no resurrection, we might as well eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die. Yet, we know Christ arose and is seated beside the Father, interceding for us right this very moment; therefore, we should live freely in the shelter and the presence of the Lord. No entanglements, problems, or distresses of any kind can keep us from the loving favor of God.

As sons and daughters of the Lord, with resurrection life and power within, we no longer need to fill the emptiness of our lives with alcohol, drugs, and meaningless entertainment; for we find satisfaction in living for Jesus Christ, worshipping with his people, and following his perfect will. We no longer fear our short tenure here on Earth, for as eternal beings we look to heaven: the home prepared for us where we will live forever. Christ is our joy, our satisfaction, our peace, our healer: our EVERYTHING! Without a shadow of doubt, our lives are on an Earth to heaven continuum with no permanent stopping points to hold us back or to thwart God's desires for our security in him. Surely, grace like rain showers us daily. No longer bound to the law, under the consequences of sin, we stand free indeed IN CHRIST. Regardless of our earthly circumstances; we are eternal beings, citizens of a city not made by human hands: the city of God.

This is my personal challenge: to live joyfully, at peace in the Lord. The Holy Spirit says, "Son, I know where you are in life; I know your struggles and your every thought. Fear not, for I am with you." When I fail to hear and to believe his voice, I become anxious, dissatisfied, doubting my destiny and God's provision for my journey. If I listen to his still small voice in faith believing, my spirit settles, and my heart and mind find peace and confidence in my Lord. Tears fill my eyes, joy fills my heart: I know I am loved by the Most High. I have a watchful Father who cares for his own, who will never leave or forsake me. Truly, THE WORD becomes flesh and dwells with me.

(Over the past few months, some of you realize I have given my assistant chef, my wife Jacqueline, increased responsibilities in the preparing of the breakfasts. Lately God has been giving me his choice ingredients as usual, but she has taken a larger role in the processing of the meal. While she continually assures me that no glory is needed on her part, I want to share my joy in working with her side-by-side in the kitchen, one in Christ, doing what He has called us to do. I also don't want to keep smiling and nodding my head in agreement when one of my children observes, "Boy Dad, your writing is getting better all the time.")

No comments:

Post a Comment