ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Monday, September 6, 2010

Ephesians 1:1-2

Ephesians 1:1-2 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, To the saints in Ephesus, the faithful in Christ Jesus: Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Acts 22:6-16 About noon as I came near Damascus, suddenly a bright light from heaven flashed around me. I fell to the ground and heard a voice say to me, "Saul! Saul! Why do you persecute me?" “Who are you, Lord?’ I asked." “I am Jesus of Nazareth, whom you are persecuting," he replied. My companions saw the light, but they did not understand the voice of him who was speaking to me. “What shall I do, Lord?" I asked. “Get up," the Lord said, "and go into Damascus. There you will be told all that you have been assigned to do." My companions led me by the hand into Damascus, because the brilliance of the light had blinded me. A man named Ananias came to see me. He was a devout observer of the law and highly respected by all the Jews living there. He stood beside me and said, "Brother Saul, receive your sight!" And at that very moment I was able to see him. Then he said: "The God of our fathers has chosen you to know his will and to see the Righteous One and to hear words from his mouth. You will be his witness to all men of what you have seen and heard. And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name."

Are you fulfilling the will of God in your life? Do you ask God to direct your steps or are you just living life the best you can? These are questions Christians must ask themselves. Paul said he was an apostle, a founder of many churches, by the will of God. He knew God had chosen him for that purpose. What is God's purpose for you? I knew early in my life that God wanted me to be a teacher in the public arena and in the body of Christ. Sometimes I chafed under this calling. I wanted to be something more significant, more satisfying, but God called me to be a teacher, so I diligently fulfilled that role. Now, as an older person, I know this task will remain my assignment until I finish this life.

Paul's basic identity was apostle. Even today when we refer to Paul's writings, we refer to him as THE APOSTLE PAUL. His role describes his purpose on Earth. What is your role, your SPIRITUAL position in life? Are you known in the body of Christ as MARY THE PRAYER WARRIOR; JIM THE GREETER; HENRY THE LOVER OF MANKIND; JOYCE THE HELPER; BETTY THE COOK; TOM THE SERVER; JAY THE WORSHIP LEADER? Or are you known only a pew sitter, a church attender, or someone who critiques the service of others? What is your role in the body of Christ since you believed, since you were baptized and set apart? Believers are not redeemed and set apart for our own purposes to live selfish, meaningless lives. We are set apart for God's purposes, to reveal his love and his plans to mankind. We have been set apart to reveal God himself to a sick and dying world.

As Ananias told Paul, "And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name." My breakfast companions, we have all experienced the washing away of our sins, and many of us have followed Jesus in water baptism. Now what is next? We must take up the cross and follow him by giving our lives to him and living our lives for his glory in our workplaces, in our neighborhoods, and in the church. Whatever we do, secular or religious, we should do it for his glory. James said, show me your faith by your works. We could put it another way, show your love for Jesus by your actions, your choices, your values. Let the world know your good works; let them know you are a Christian by your love.

No comments:

Post a Comment