ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Ephesians 1:15-17

Ephesians 1:15-17 For this reason, ever since I heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints, I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers. I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.

1 Corinthians 3:18-23 Do not deceive yourselves. If any one of you thinks he is wise by the standards of this age, he should become a “fool” so that he may become wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God’s sight. As it is written: “He catches the wise in their craftiness”; and again, “The Lord knows that the thoughts of the wise are futile.” So then, no more boasting about men! All things are yours, whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas or the world or life or death or the present or the future — all are yours, and you are of Christ, and Christ is of God.

Are wisdom and knowledge important in this life? Yes, we benefit from a basic understanding of biology and the mechanics of working things. Knowledge of time and space helps orient us in our earthly existence, but what we truly need is spiritual knowledge, a clear understanding of God and how to become his children. Such knowledge is foolishness to the wise of this world: The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned. (1 Corinthians 2:14) But to God, the wisdom of this world is foolishness. The thoughts of the wise are futile. A wise secular man may spend his whole life thinking only about the meaning of earthly things. After filling his mind with speculations, experiments, and postulations, he will die without hope for eternity. His lofty thoughts, his mighty wisdom, his deep understanding of how things work will not conquer death and the grave. Paul said, I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ. (Philippians 3:8 KJV) Jesus thanked God for hiding divine truth from the wise and the learned of this world. An understanding of God and the mystery of our existence comes only through faith in Jesus Christ.

Paul prayed the new converts in Ephesus would have the Spirit of wisdom and revelation so they might know Jesus better. This Spirit is the Holy Spirit, a teacher and guide who enlightens our minds about Christ and helps us on our daily walk with him. This God given enlightenment represents true knowledge, divine wisdom. Jesus told his followers the Spirit would be our comforter, our friend. He abides within us and talks to us, reminding us we are God's beloved children, and we are not lost in the vastness of the universe. The Holy Spirit reveals to us that we are significant to the creator of all things and that in him we find our being. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men. (John 1:3,4) In the light of God's love expressed through his only Son, we clearly see who God is and truly comprehend the depths of his love for us.

When I read books, even Christian books, the information and knowledge shared often references other great people whose beliefs confirm or expand the thinking of the books' authors. Sometimes this explication is beneficial and helpful in clarifying ideas, but wisdom and knowledge built on other learned people's expertise means little to me. Validation by people is not very important in view of eternity. I want to know what the Spirit says about the topic. Does the book line up with the Bible, and what does it say about God and his holy love? I depend on the voice of the Lord to lead me through this life. Without him, I have nothing. The wisdom of man does not comfort me; only the Spirit of God comforts my soul and give my life meaning and purpose. All else, even the greatest insights of men, is but refuse to my soul. Every day, I long to hear his voice, to know his will. As Paul prayed, I pray that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you (me) the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you (I) may know him better. This is the will of God in Christ concerning his dearly loved children. Let us walk in his wisdom and truth today.


No comments:

Post a Comment