ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Friday, August 13, 2010

Hebrews 13:19-25

Hebrews 13:19-25 Pray for us. We are sure that we have a clear conscience and desire to live honorably in every way. I particularly urge you to pray so that I may be restored to you soon. May the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen. Brothers, I urge you to bear with my word of exhortation, for I have written you only a short letter. I want you to know that our brother Timothy has been released. If he arrives soon, I will come with him to see you. Greet all your leaders and all God’s people. Those from Italy send you their greetings. Grace be with you all.

The writer of Hebrews, a spiritual leader, asked for prayer from those who received his letter. How much more we who are but children in reference to this warrior need the prayers of others. We live in an alien, hostile world where many people view us as THE enemy. Jesus said the world would hate us as it hated him. Even today, people use the lovely name of Jesus more often as a curse than as a word of adoration and recognition: Emanuel, God with us. In Islamic countries, a person who converts to Christianity faces persecution or even death for such an act of betrayal. Over the years, millions of martyrs have died at the hands of those who thought they were doing their gods a favor by eliminating Christ's followers. Christians face troubles, persecutions, and discomfort as they traverse the wilderness of life. This world is not our home.

As we read the final admonitions from this "short letter" to the Hebrews, I wonder how many of us have a clear conscience in everything and have chosen to live honorably in every way. I wonder how many believers have boldly cut themselves off from other Christians who would hold them up in prayer. Brothers and sisters, are we going our own way, failing to realize how much we need the words and prayers of others to strengthen us? The church is the body of Christ where each part supplies something needed for the effective functioning of the whole. We need to function well in that body; therefore, we have no viable alternative to letting the Spirit use us to encourage and to help others. If we foolishly cut ourselves off from fellowship with other Christians, thinking we do not need others and they do not need us, we are destined for problems. The body of Christ helps sustain our Christian walk by giving comfort to those who suffer and guidance to those who stray from the truth. God does not send us out alone in an alien world. As with the author of Hebrews, we have fellowship with other believers and ask for their prayers in our behalf.

In his later years, my own dad cut himself off from regular church attendance. Although he read the Bible daily and sought the Lord in prayer, he missed out on the fellowship of the saints. After I began teaching in Auburn, Washington, for several years I went back home for post-graduate work, and my family and I lived with my folks for the summer. During those weeks, we would talk a lot about the Lord, the scriptures, and the goodness of God. We experienced powerful times of prayer together. Every year I noticed Dad's spirit would start out rather negative, but the fountain within him turned into sweet water by the end of the summer. He started speaking with more tenderness, compassion, and hope in Christ. His actions seemed more loving and caring, less troubled. Daily positive interactions with other members of the body of Christ changed his demeanor and his behavior. Christians need the love and fellowship of the brethren. The spirit of the world corrupts those who go off alone; the wolf snares the sheep that leaves the flock. When the devil finds us alone in a remote pasture, he pounces on us and leads us to captivity.

Over the last several years, I have expounded on every book in the New Testament other than Revelations, a book I choose not teach. In my breakfasts, I have not skipped any verses, and I have tried to give you the whole counsel of the scriptures. In fulfilling such a task, I suspect I have written enough material to fill several books. Some of my past breakfasts are on my blog, but most are not. Right now I am going to take a respite to seek God and to consider whether I should start over, explicating the scriptures the best I can. My hope and prayer is that these breakfasts have nourished you. I realize some of you read them daily while others read sporadically or occasionally, but I love you all, my breakfast companions. Now I leave you with the doxology of the Hebrew writer: May the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment