ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Mark 14:27-31

Mark 14:27-31  “You will all fall away,” Jesus told them, “for it is written: “‘I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep will be scattered.’  But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee.”  Peter declared, “Even if all fall away, I will not.”  “I tell you the truth,” Jesus answered, “today — yes, tonight — before the rooster crows twice you yourself will disown me three times.”  But Peter insisted emphatically, “Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you.”  And all the others said the same.

Isn't it amazing that all fell away.  When Jesus was crucified, they had all been scattered.  Then everyone deserted him and fled.  (vs 50)  Not one of them was Braveheart.  Not one of them went down swinging.  Actually Peter tried early on, but Jesus told him to put up his sword because his kingdom was not one of violence.  So here we see the disciples as one of us--very common men drawn from very common occupations and places.  None of them were warriors or fierce men of violence--trained to fight, trained to die for their leader.  They were just men.  Peter said something that most of us say when we are in our rocking chairs by the comfort of the fire, healthy in our body and spirit, “Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you.”  But when the reality of the situation hit him in the courtyard of the High Priest, he cursed and said, “I don’t know this man you’re talking about.”  (vs 71)  How much more difficult it is to stand by Jesus when our accusers throw us out of our houses in the cold of night without garments to keep us warm, telling us that we must recant or we die.  How many martyrs throughout history experienced that kind of treatment.  How much more difficult it is to stand by Jesus when we are hopelessly sick, or when we are homeless, or anticipating a death by violence.  Then our heart-felt statements of I will never disown you, or I'll always believe in you as my Lord and Savior sometimes slip from our minds and in place of those faith statements fear reigns.  

We are but human just as the disciples were human.  In the New Testament before the Holy Spirit was poured out, we do not have any champions of the faith except John the Baptist, and he was the greatest of those who lived.  But after Pentecost, we see champion after champion coming forth into the arena of faith.  We see the disciples literally go into the lion's den.  We see Paul going to Rome to preach the gospel.  We see Stephen preaching the gospel to a hostile crowd.  We see the disciples preaching the "good news" in the temple and the synagogues--places controlled by the very people who killed Jesus.  We see they were all turned into Braveheart by the Holy Spirit.  Most of them lost their lives violently.  The church was horrendously persecuted.  However they stood fast as defenders of the faith.  

We, too, if we don't want to be scattered, if we don't want to be weak at heart when the times of trial come must be in the presence of the Holy Spirit.  He and his voice must be rich in us.  If we don't have an up-to-date experience with the Lord, like the disciples at the crucifixion, we, too, will lack the strength to resist the temptation to scatter.  We, too, will struggle with our faith.  We, too, will say, "Well maybe this Jesus Christ thing isn't real.  Maybe I should just walk away.  It doesn't seem to be paying off for me."  No, my breakfast companions, listen to the Spirit inside of you.  He is telling you to keep on going.  He is saying, "I am with you.  Your life is my life.  You are my witnesses to this dark and hungry world."  So today, take another step of faith.  Get up and praise the Lord.  Listen to his still small voice within you.  Be encouraged that you are redeemed.  Know that Jesus Christ is always with you; He never will leave you comfortless.  Praise his holy name!

No comments:

Post a Comment