ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

2 Corinthians 1:16-22

2 Corinthians 1:16-22  I planned to visit you on my way to Macedonia and to come back to you from Macedonia, and then to have you send me on my way to Judea.  When I planned this, did I do it lightly?  Or do I make my plans in a worldly manner so that in the same breath I say, “Yes, yes” and “No, no”?  But as surely as God is faithful, our message to you is not “Yes” and “No.”  For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, who was preached among you by me and Silas and Timothy, was not “Yes” and “No,” but in him it has always been “Yes.”  For no matter how many promises God has made, they are “Yes” in Christ.  And so through him the “Amen” is spoken by us to the glory of God.  Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ.  He anointed us, set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

Some Corinthian discontents accused Paul of being fickle because he had promised to go to them at a certain time but failed to fulfill his promise.  Of course, unforeseen difficulties prevented Paul from fulfilling his intended schedule.  Nevertheless, his accusers questioned his message, for if Paul as a man of God did not carry out his promises, perhaps his message was suspect.  Was his yes really a yes or was it a no as with any fleshly man?   By questioning Paul's ability to fulfill his promises, they were bringing confusion to the church in Corinth for Paul was their spiritual father.  In this passage we see Paul reaffirming that God's promises are true and steadfast, not capricious.  They are not like man's promises.  

Unfortunately, men sometimes make promises and then fail to carry them out.  Even this morning, I already missed a meeting because I forgot about it.  But God does not forget.  He is not fickle: when he tells you something, He will do it.  He does not say in the same breath, “Yes, yes” and “No, no.”  He says what He means and holds to it.  He is steadfast and dependable.  As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.  (Isaiah 55:10-11)

Paul is telling the Corinthians the message God gave to him is steadfast too.  But as surely as God is faithful, our message to you is not “Yes” and “No.”  For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, who was preached among you by me and Silas and Timothy, was not “Yes” and “No,” but in him it has always been “Yes.”  For no matter how many promises God has made, they are “Yes” in Christ.  Men might not be able to implement a promise fully, but God through Jesus Christ, through whom all things were created, will completely fulfill HIS WORD.  What He says will be done.  Paul says, we should say amen to that for it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ.  He anointed us, set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.  What a wonderful promise: He anoints us, places his stamp of approval on us, places his Spirit in our hearts, and sets us on the road to heaven.  We not only have a covenant with God, we also have a place in his heart.  As stated in John's gospel, He in us, we in him.  Now we are definitely on a different plane (geometrically speaking).  Our vector is pointing straight home.  Our destination is certain; Christ Jesus is guaranteeing what is to come.  Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for the victory is ours.  “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.  In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart!  I (Jesus Christ) have overcome the world.”  (John 16:33)  Pray that in your heart you might see this victory regardless of your circumstances this day.  Know that God is faithful, and He keeps his promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment