ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Mark 14:22-26

Mark 14:22-26  While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take it; this is my body.”  Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, and they all drank from it.  “This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many,” he said to them.  “I tell you the truth, I will not drink again of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it anew in the kingdom of God.”  When they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.

The bread--his body--broken for many.  The blood--his covenant--shed for many.  Are you one of the many is the question?  And I would suppose because you are partaking of this breakfast you are one of the many.  Now that demands a shout of rejoicing before you go on eating.  I don't know if we really realize what the above passage is saying to us.  Yes, we Christians have a cognitive understanding of this passage, for we have heard many wonderful ministers and scholars describe what it all means, but the reality of these verses sometimes escapes us, for if we truly appreciated the implications of this passage, I suspect we could not remain seated to further partake of this breakfast, for our feet would be too busy dancing for joy.  The exuberance of our spirits would be too much for our flesh to contain.  Our feet would hardly hit the ground.  I suspect our voices would grow hoarse quickly for our vocal cords could not withstand the magnitude of our shouts of hosannas and praises to the Lord.  

Yes, in the above scripture, Jesus says, "Partake of me."  And his implication is if you don't partake of me, you have no part in me.  The Gospel of John says by partaking of the Lord Jesus Christ, we take on his eternal nature.  We are from then on found IN HIM and He is IN US.  My prayer is not for them alone.  I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you.  May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.  I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me.  (John 17:20-23)  This is the great mystery of the gospel, that the Son of God would come down to Earth to make sons and daughters for the living God.  God had a plan that we Christians would from now would be called sons and daughters of the most high, known into eternity as children of God.  I will be a Father to you, and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty.  (1 Corinthians 6:18)  

Doesn't all this good news make you rejoice?  How can you put another bite in your mouth without great rejoicing on your lips and tears in your eyes, for God has delivered you from sin and death?  HALLELUJAH!  Then Jesus goes on further to say, "This wine represents my blood."  Blood in those times always sealed a covenant.  From the time of the shedding of Christ's blood until forever, this covenant is in place.  THIS AGREEMENT SHALL NEVER BE BROKEN.  Otherwise, we will always be God's righteous children.  We will never be destroyed, for we are part of HIM.  WE ARE HIS PEOPLE--THE SHEEP OF HIS PASTURES.  The blood of the Lamb, Jesus Christ, has satisfied the wrath of God, has broken the enmity between God and man.  His blood has literally sealed the day.  We are now behind the veil in the HOLY OF HOLIES; we are literally covered by the sinless blood of THE LAMB.  We no longer have to cower before the ALMIGHTY GOD in fear of the wrath to come, for HE, CHRIST, has paid the price for our redemption.  Rejoice, daughters of the LORD.  Rejoice, sons of the MOST HIGH.  FOR YOU HAVE BEEN REDEEMED!  Surely this should give you dancing feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment