ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Monday, March 30, 2009

Mark 14:17-21

Mark 14:17-21  When evening came, Jesus arrived with the Twelve.  While they were reclining at the table eating, he said, “I tell you the truth, one of you will betray me — one who is eating with me.”  They were saddened, and one by one they said to him, “Surely not I?”  “It is one of the Twelve,” he replied, “one who dips bread into the bowl with me.  The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him.  But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man!  It would be better for him if he had not been born.” 

Judas participated in the ministry of Jesus.  He was an integral part of the "Good News."  Yet, the materialism of this world got to him.  I am sure the sermons and parables Jesus told impacted him, too, but the finiteness of his life and the need to enhance it brought him to a place where thirty pieces of silver were more important than serving Christ.  In an earlier breakfast, we saw Esau succumbing to his fleshly desires by selling his birthright for a serving of stew.  Judas and Esau cavalierly rejected God's purposes for their lives by satiating their fleshly desires.  To us their self-willed decisions are astounding, but we know the tragic results of their actions.  I sometimes get a feeling of impending tragedy when I observe what goes on in church.  Many Christians in the pews are not entering into the spirit of the service, into worship.  I don't think they really understand what they are doing.  They are spiritually selling out that moment of worship for a pot of stew or thirty pieces of silver or the comforts of their own thoughts and attitudes.  To collectively worship the Lord is a tremendous honor, a privilege.  I am sure God finds great pleasure in our whole-hearted worship.  Heaven will consist of worship and honor to the Lord.  We fail to realize the significance of our actions when we don't enter in, for when we gather as a collective body, the Spirit of God is there in power and authority.    

Do we believe that the very presence of God is in our midst when we gather together and we are no longer just flesh and bones but living, newborn creatures in the household of God?  Do we realize that the Spirit is saying, "Let my will be done, not man's fleshly will."  Sometimes our attitudes are almost like a betrayal of the Son of Man.  Our attitude says to God, I don't have to bring my flesh around to praise you this morning, I don't have to worship you, I will do my will, I will sit here in a funk or I will just see if the Spirit moves me or not.  As with most Christians, we say, Surely not I.  You know, Lord, I am disciplined enough not to ever betray you; surely you know I will stand by you always.  Later on we will read about the disciples falling asleep in the garden when they should have been praying with Jesus.  Once again they say attitudinally, Surely not I.  I WILL BE THERE WHEN YOU NEED ME.  SURELY NOT I.  Jesus needed them in the garden.  Likewise every church gathering needs each one of us.  Every ministry where Jesus is needs every believer.  Everything done in the Lord's name NEEDS YOU.  As Christians we are to be generators, not thermostats.  When we participate in the church, we should be stirring up the Spirit within each believer, not testing or judging whether there is enough of God's Spirit there for us to willingly participate.  

This is a very strong breakfast, maybe too much hot sauce on the scrambled eggs, yet it may be needed by some of us who have become spectators in what is meant to be a participatory activity.  But it is not a breakfast meant to condemn you, but to stir you up.  "One of the twelve will betray me,"  Jesus says.  Judas was part of the church's inner circle, but still he was willing to allow his fleshly self to dictate how he wanted to live his life.  I guess he wanted to live it for himself, for he betrayed Jesus for a bag of silver.  How sad he was when he realized what he had done.  How sad we will be if we realize we have lived our lives for ourselves and not for our Lord.  Jesus says, "Lose your life."  The flesh says, "Save your life.  Do your will, do only what you want to do."  We are flesh without the life and power of the Holy Spirit.  Jesus needs us, and He came that we might have joy and live life to the fullest in him.  He needs us to pray, to worship, to serve, to dedicate our lives to him.  By the way, that kind of commitment is one that brings great joy; the other commitment to the flesh brings a need to find joy.  The flesh will always be seeking another activity, another place, another experience, another dwelling place to find rest and peace.  Today is a good day to enter into the joy of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment