ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Ephesians 5:15-20

Ephesians 5:15-20 Be very careful, then, how you live — not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is. Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit. Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Singing and making music in your heart to the Lord and always thanking him for everything in Jesus' lovely name will bring you into a place of peace and joy even in the most trying times and the most difficult circumstances. Although nonbelievers often face trials and hardships by becoming bitter and angry, by drinking or drugging themselves senseless, by escaping into aberrant sexual behaviors, or by sinking into the depths of despair, none of these reactions or activities will help the fallen, the suffering, or the wounded person. While an individual who chooses darkness over light might think such negative behaviors are justified considering the struggles and vicissitudes of life, these choices to serve the world, the flesh, and the devil create more problems rather helping people cope with the ones they have.

When Christians fall into these pits of sin and dysfunction, we undermine our faith in God, our hope for the future, and our confidence in who we are in Christ. Unwise decisions can destroy relationships, trust, and peace of mind. However, worshipping and obeying God leads to healing, security, unity, reconciliation, and redemption. I have heard many people say that when they stopped living a life of praise and service to the Lord or began numbing themselves with intoxicants and sensual pleasures, they fell deeper into sin than before they knew the Lord. When we forget God in our daily lives and give place to the enemy and his temptations, we often become ashamed and overcome with guilt until we finally harden our hearts against the voice of the Holy Spirit. Willful and selfish acts that violate God's plan leave a path of hurt and pain. Many an addicted person has wounded and taken advantage of a close friend, a faithful spouse, or a precious child. The wages of sin is death here and now and in eternity.

Therefore, Paul told the people not to be drunk with wine, but to seek and to worship the Lord while He can be found. When I face an unpleasant chore, I often sing songs to God. When my heart is breaking, I sing praises to my Healer. When I do not understand the tragedies of life, I sing songs of hope. Singing to the Lord always comforts my soul as I allow the Spirit to speak to me. Singing words of light and love brings a purpose to living beyond the mundaneness of the world. When I worship the Almighty, my sacrifice is a sweet offering to God that He values. I have noticed that little children respond lovingly when I sing to them and with them. Songs seem to touch their hearts more than spoken words. My youngest grandchild, Ava, just over one year old, is attached to her Papa. She was away from me for about three weeks recently. When she saw me again, she quickly came to me but seemed somewhat unsure, a little tense with the situation after such a long absence. But when I held her close and started singing to her, she relaxed and slumped into my arms, saying with her body language, "I'm home: I am with my Papa." This is the assurance we experience in the Spirit when our melodies of praise and adoration lift us to a higher plane, another domain, where we can relax and collapse into the arms of the Father.

Now, my breakfast companions, I do not want to sound esoteric or mystical, but our choices matter: the Bible is true. God inhabits the praises of his people. Whatever you do, do it unto the Lord. Let your words and songs bring joy to God's heart and to your own. In this age of "whatever," it matters what we do, how we live. Those who follow after the sinful nature will reap a whirlwind, but if we live in the Spirit, we will reap total freedom, inexpressible joy, lasting peace, and eternal life. There is no in between. We cannot simultaneously stand on the shore and swim in the River of Life. We were baptized in water as an outward sign of an inward change, our total commitment to Christ and God's perfect plan. As totally new creatures, resurrection life should spring forth from our innermost beings. Sing a new song to the Lord every morning and allow the Spirit to regenerate and to empower you. Let his words spring up in your heart, giving you peace and joy, the assurance that you are always in the presence of the Lord: at home with the Father, at home with the Son, at home with the Spirit, the Great Three in One! PRAISE GOD FOREVER.

No comments:

Post a Comment