ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

2 Corinthians 3:1-3

2 Corinthians 3:1-3  Are we beginning to commend ourselves again?  Or do we need, like some people, letters of recommendation to you or from you?  You yourselves are our letter, written on our hearts, known and read by everybody.  You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts. 

What kind of letter are we?  Sometimes I am not a very good letter.  In those troubling times, I don't want anyone reading my letter (life), for it contains too much of me and too little of Christ.  Then it seems to be loaded with a lot of my handwriting and not enough of Christ's delicate script.  The content skews towards worldliness, criticism, anger, depression, sinfulness, laziness, waywardness, and on and on.  I find my letter containing more negative thoughts than positive thoughts, more destructive words than constructive words.  When these kinds of sentences (experiences) are written, I don't want to talk to anyone; I don't want to have any interactions.  I just want to be left alone to stew in my own juice of failure.  And not surprisingly the devil quickly becomes my close companion, saying, "Tsk, tsk, what a letter you are!  I just wish everyone could read you now."  And with other wonderfully destructive words, he interferes with my thoughts.  He is more than happy to abide with me to condemn me.  

But then another voice enters the room, a still, small voice.  "Cliff, I am here.  I am with you."  Then I remember the words, For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.  (John 3:17)  During those many times when I just want to crumple up the letter and throw it away, Jesus' voice comes to my rescue.  He tells me, "This is not your letter, it is mine.  I always complete the letter.  I am not finished with you yet.  Read on."  This, of course, is our hope.  He is the letter writer--He is the letter.  Paul was telling the Corinthians they are letters, they are the results of his ministry, which has allowed Jesus Christ to give them a new life, a new letter, a new story.  Paul tells them that the Spirit of God is using the transforming spiritual ink from God's fountain of grace to change their lives.  Even though their lifestyles and worshipping practices troubled Paul at times, he understood full well that God was doing a metamorphic miracle in the Corinthians.  He knew they were leaving the desires and conformities of the dark world of sin and entering the heavenly light of God's grace and mercy.  

What about you this morning?  Are you disappointed in yourself?  Do you expect more from yourself than you are capable of producing?  Is your letter straying to the unprofitable, to the worldly?  If so, I want you to hear the words of Jesus: He is not finished with you.  I want you to hear him say, "I am with you.  You are not lost, for I am here."  Remember the above scripture: we are saved THROUGH HIM.  Through your human efforts, YOU will never be enough.  YOU will never be accepted in the Beloved because of your own righteousness.  YOU NEED CHRIST AND HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS!  That is the gospel.  As a Christian you are a letter of love.  He has planted in your heart HIS LOVE, and you reciprocate with a great love for him, with a longing for his presence.  He alone makes you right with God.  Should you sin or continue in your funk to show God's great mercy toward sinners?  No!  Out of love you bring your LIFE and your THOUGHTS under his control.  BECAUSE OF HIS WORK IN YOU, you discipline your life out of love for Christ.  

Paul says he dies daily.  Otherwise, he brings his life under the authority of God.  When he fails, he goes back to Christ with repentance, realizing that Christ alone is the fountain of REAL LIFE.  The disciples understood this, learned this:  In him was life, and that life was the light of men.  The light shines in the darkness.  (John 1:4-5)  Therefore, our letters are written out of love by the hand of God, through the working of the Spirit in us. Consequently, let not our hearts be defeated by our personal disappointments or our human failings, but let us rise up in faith, for He is WORTHY to be praised.  Even though your letter hasn't been completed, it is finished in heaven by the blood of Jesus Christ, for He has overcome the world and death.  The one who calls you is faithful and he (Christ) will do it.  (1 Thessalonians 5:24)  When your letter (life) seems extremely disappointing, and maybe or for sure, not worthy, lift your head up, open up your spiritual ear, for He is near.  Feel the loving touch of his hand on your shoulder; listen to the whispered words of Christ: "I love you.  YOU ARE MINE!"

No comments:

Post a Comment