ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

John 13:36-38

John 13:36-38 Simon Peter asked him, “Lord, where are you going?” Jesus replied, “Where I am going, you cannot follow now, but you will follow later.” Peter asked, “Lord, why can’t I follow you now? I will lay down my life for you.” Then Jesus answered, “Will you really lay down your life for me? I tell you the truth, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times!

Peter validated his promise, I will lay down my life for you, by drawing his sword against the forces of the arresting mob. He was willing to die for Jesus that night, for with such a feeble defense against so many, he surely would have died in his attempt to defend his Lord. But when Jesus commanded him to put away his sword, the fight went out of Peter. How could he defend a Savior who would not allow him to use the only weapon he possessed to fight for his defense? Instantly, Peter's focus shifted from his Master's safety to his own personal survival. Jesus had made up his mind, but the Bible continually says his disciples did not understand until later who he really was and did not comprehend his words when earlier he had said, The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me. (John 12:23-26)

Jesus is doing much more than merely commanding Peter not to use his weapon when He says,
Put your sword away!
Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?
(John 18:11) Christ identifies himself with a higher calling than ensuring his survival and once again firmly and unequivocally commits himself to a greater plan than leading a rebellion against the Roman Empire or the Jewish hierarchy. Jesus was fully devoted to the will of the Father, consumed by the Way of the Cross. Consequently, He had gathered to his side those He trusted to take up the cross and to follow him. He knew their every weakness and fault. He knew Peter would deny him; yet He also knew what lay ahead through the power of the resurrection through the Spirit. He asks Peter to stop what he is doing, to think about the situation because later, after Pentecost, when the Holy Spirit has come upon him and empowered him for ministry, Peter will remember these words; and they would give him great joy. These words will also help him in times of inexplicable pain and sorrow. Jesus had
drink the cup, just as Peter will have to drink the cup the Lord sets before him. Later in John we will read Jesus' dialogue with this wonderfully passionate Peter who protested loudly, then listened quietly as the Lord taught him truth and trust. When Peter is hurt because Jesus asks him a third time if he loves him, Jesus gives a final answer, a shepherd and a servant's answer:
the answer of one who seeks those who will serve in dependence, trusting not in themselves but only in the Master's will.
Jesus said, “Feed my sheep.
I tell you the truth, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, “Follow me!” (John 21:17b-19)

When we can see no end to pain and trouble in this earthly life, are we willing to look at a greater plan than ours? Are we willing to believe God has a greater plan for our lives, better than any we can construct for ourselves? When Jesus says, "Put away your little sword, rest in me, and stop struggling and contending for your own plan," are we willing to say, "Not my will but yours be done?" Peter thought he knew the best plan for Christ's future and was willing to die for Jesus' survival. Although passionate and fully committed, he was totally wrong. Sometimes, we fight against God's will in our lives, yet think we are on the road to success. We sometimes mourn for the life we do not have but think we deserve: financial and physical security, freedom from stress or problems, happiness and luxurious living. But Jesus says, "Put away your sword; live the life I have given you with your eyes on the prize of the high calling of serving me. Accept the will of the Father, and I will lift you up into heavenly places in love, peace, and inexpressible joy." This does not mean you will not have goals and ambition, and that your life will not require effort. You should have all that and more, but when our lives are tested, we should put away our swords, knowing we are hidden with Christ in God, believing his Word where this same Peter wrote confidently that when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that does not fade away. Therefore instead of going your own way, you walk by faith, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you. Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world. But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you. (1 Peter 5:7-10) Amen and amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment