ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Friday, June 4, 2010

Hebrews 2:10-13

Hebrews 2:10-13 In bringing many sons to glory, it was fitting that God, for whom and through whom everything exists, should make the author of their salvation perfect through suffering. Both the one who makes men holy and those who are made holy are of the same family. So Jesus is not ashamed to call them brothers. He says, “I will declare your name to my brothers; in the presence of the congregation I will sing your praises.” And again, “I will put my trust in him.” And again he says, “Here am I, and the children God has given me.”

Jesus Christ, the author of our salvation was made flesh for our deliverance and adoption into God's family: Both the one who makes men holy and those who are made holy are of the same family. As a man He experienced all the calamity of finite flesh, even death. Yet, He was without sin. He knew the frustrations of life, but He did not yield to its temptations. He became perfect through his suffering by having faith regardless of circumstances, for He was unwilling to bow to the vicissitudes of life or to the devil's will. Because of his human experience, He calls us brothers, for He was once like us. Jesus is not ashamed to call them (us) brothers. And because Christ is our elder brother who declares God's name to all and who sings praises to God, so do we. If Jesus sings praises to God and testifies of his goodness and greatness, so should we. Without that attitude, we cannot be called his brothers. We cannot claim to be a member of the family if we don't honor the head of the family by worshipping him.

What a mystery that people call themselves Christian, but fail to sing praises to him or to worship him. Their clandestine faith keeps them closet Christians. However, Jesus says, "I will declare your name to my brothers; in the presence of the congregation I will sing your praises.” Likewise we should declare God's name and sing praises to him. Choosing not to bite our lips in silence, we should sing joyfully, for even the rocks will sing if we, MEMBERS OF HIS CONGREGATION, fail to praise him. GOD WILL BE PRAISED, FOR HE DESERVES PRAISE. Our acts of worshipping and singing are the actions of love. When we love someone, we want others to know our joy. If we respect someone, we honor him with our hearts and lips. At Christ birth, the angels praised God: Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests.” (Luke 2:13-14) Revelations shows all creatures singing and praising God. Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, singing: “To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever!” (Revelations 5:13) Love emits praise and honor.

At fifteen, I placed Jesus in the center of my life. From that time until now, 55 years later, I have never stopped singing of God's goodness and grace. I have often wondered why singing welled up within me at the time of my salvation. The above scriptures reveal very clearly why singing is an important part of a Christian's life. When we receive Christ into our hearts, his Spirit begins to sing praises within us. The Bible says, out of our innermost beings will flow living water. We express what the Spirit is saying about Jesus and God through words and songs. The Spirit came to honor God, by revealing Jesus' grace and mercy. He continually proclaims the goodness of God. When we are hidden in Christ, our nature reveals Jesus' nature, and we will want to praise and honor God as He does.

My breakfast companions, let the songs of the Spirit that lift up God's name emit from your lips. This action might take faith for some of you. Some of you might just be saying, I want to praise him, but I need songs of praise in me, his revelation in me. If so, open your mouth and praise him; sing with your mouth of his goodness and as you practice his presence new songs of joy and victory will arise from within you. Maybe a little rap would be your offering if you don't feel you have a melodious voice, but whatever you do, allow his words and thoughts to come and remind of his greatness, of his goodness. Let the river of life flow and overflow. You will find strength for your souls and edification for your spirits as you yield to the Spirit's leading, and God will be blessed by your sacrifice of praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment