ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Monday, January 9, 2012

Colossians 1:1-2

Colossians 1:1-2  Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, to the holy and faithful brothers in Christ at Colosse: Grace and peace to you from God our Father. 

Paul begins by introducing himself as an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, bringing God's grace and peace.  He understood God's plan for him as an apostle, starting and fathering churches as the Holy Spirit led him from place to place.  In this role Paul did not prosper according to human standards; instead, he faced setbacks, persecutions, and imprisonment.  Writing to the church at Philippi about his struggles, he declared, "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain."  Although he said he would rather be with Christ, he wanted to live, "so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me."  He asks the church to follow his example: Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. . .For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for him, since you are going through the same struggle you saw I had, and now hear that I still have He asks them to have the same attitude as Christ who did not go his own way but went to the cross, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.  Paul ends with this final plea: Do all these things without complaining or arguing,  so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life.  He said he did not want his labor to be in vain, but added even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you.  So you too should be glad and rejoice with me.  (See Philippians Chapters 1 & 2)   

As with countless believers across time, Paul's life after his conversion was poured out as a drink offering on the altar.  His life was an epistle for the world to read.  Every generation has examined Paul's writings and his life: countless believers have feasted upon his words, growing in grace and the knowledge of the Lord through the anointing and inspiration of the Holy Spirit because Paul said yes to God and did not fall back when faced with terrible hardships and suffering.  The churches Paul fathered multiplied exponentially through the millenniums.  Paul admitted at times his suffering was so great he longed to be with God rather than to complete his role; yet he did not forsake his Lord or his calling because of these problems, fears, or anxieties.  He emphatically proclaimed,. . .we never give up.  Though our bodies are dying, our spirits are being renewed every day.  For our present troubles are quite small and won’t last very long.  Yet they produce for us an immeasurably great glory that will last forever!  So we don’t look at the troubles we can see right now; rather, we look forward to what we have not yet seen.  For the troubles we see will soon be over, but the joys to come will last forever.  (2 Corinthians 4:16-18 NLB)  Even in chains, he encouraged men and women in their faith and continued to teach gospel truths: We also pray that you will be strengthened with his glorious power so that you will have all the patience and endurance you need.  May you be filled with joy, always thanking the Father, who has enabled you to share the inheritance that belongs to God’s holy people, who live in the light.  For he has rescued us from the one who rules in the kingdom of darkness, and he has brought us into the Kingdom of his dear Son.  God has purchased our freedom with his blood and has forgiven all our sins.  (Colossians 1:11-14)  Paul understood his role in the church, knew no other life would satisfy him, and rejoiced in the perfect will of God.  All believers must know God's will and follow the Holy Spirit's call

Dad has a story his likes to tell about God's will:  After I gave my life to the Lord in my early teens, I felt a strong call from the Holy Spirit that I should be a teacher in the public schools.  Such a thought terrified me, for I was a young man who stuttered in his early years and remained reluctant to speak out in a group or perform in front of people.  How could I become a teacher if I was afraid to give a speech in front of an English class?  I never gave a speech throughout high school: rather than speak in front of my classmates, I willingly accepted a failing grade.  Since this fear remained with me during college, I postponed the speech class required for educational majors until my senior year when I had no choice but to sign up for the class.  We gave four different kinds of speeches during that quarter.  I miraculously survived all of them without embarrassing myself or dying of a heart attack.  Surprisingly, my professor considered me as having "exceptional talent" in giving speeches.  After the last class, she asked me to stay behind for a few minutes because she had something "important" to tell me.  Of course, I just wanted to leave that building for good, but I stayed to listen to her.  She shared that she thought I was a "gifted speaker" and went on to say she wanted to work with me and to help me "enter speech contests around the world."   I told her I would think about it, but I never darkened the doors of that building again.   

Although that professor's words sounded absurd to me and the thought of entering speaking contests brought abject fear to my heart; her words also brought confidence to me as I realized later what a great miracle God had performed in taking a fearful stuttering young boy who would rather fail than make a speech and turning him into a speaker who could stand in front of a group and even impress the instructor.  What a mighty God we serve!  God saw me through that difficult hurdle and many others.   Eventually I became an award winning teacher.   At first I found it difficult to imagine God could use a public school teacher effectively.  My first principal stopped me short one day.  He called me into his office, lecturing me forcefully:  If you want to be a minister, go out and minister; but you are a teacher, that is what we expect of you.  He spoke the truth.  Teaching was my calling, and I needed to bring God in the classroom through my actions and deeds, not so much words.  So for thirty years I did just that, and I feel I accomplished God's will for my life.  Not all of it was easy.  At times I thought of quitting and doing something more spiritual.  But I was called to be a teacher, to serve as God's hand extended wherever I was.  I was to teach for the glory of God and that is exactly what I did.  My wife kept many letters I received through the years from parents and students, telling me how much they loved my class, how much they learned, how much they appreciated me.  We would pray for my students.  I would lay hands on the desks when the classroom was empty and ask God to touch broken hearts and to heal wounded spirits.  I also had many opportunities on the side to share Christ's love because when you let Christ shine through you, people see the light, are attracted to the light, want what you have.  Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward.  It is the Lord Christ you are serving.  (Colossians 3:23-24)  Amen!  

No comments:

Post a Comment