ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Monday, March 21, 2011

John 8:27-30

John 8:27-30 They did not understand that he was telling them about his Father. So Jesus said, “When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am [the one I claim to be] and that I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me. The one who sent me is with me; he has not left me alone, for I always do what pleases him.”
Even as he spoke, many put their faith in him.

Jesus born as a babe born in the manger died for our sins that we might live forever with him. The only begotten Son of God left the splendor of heaven, willingly emptying himself to live as a man, tempted in all ways as we are yet without sin that He might offer his life as a ransom for all. While we were yet sinning and going our own way, as nails pierced his hands, He uttered not a word against us. He looked to his Father, saying, "Hold not this sin against them, for they know not what they do." When He said, It is finished, his words echoed through the ages to the beginning of time, releasing the captives and setting at liberty those who were bound for all eternity. He bridged the great chasm separating God and man by paying a price that cost God all He had. The Holy One, the Spotless Lamb left Heaven, and the light shineth in darkness and the Word that was with God became flesh and dwelt among us. To as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name. (See John chapter 1) This is the incomprehensible, amazing, glorious, inexplicable, unmerited grace of Jehovah Jireh, our Provider, Lord God Almighty, Creator of Heaven and Earth. This is the plan people failed to comprehend in Christ's time on Earth and continue to belittle, to underestimate, and to view as insufficient to this very day.

Yet as he stood before the people that day, presenting himself before those who did not understand, He firmly declared without hesitation:
“When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am [the one I claim to be] and that I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me. The one who sent me is with me; he has not left me alone, for I always do what pleases him.” With the fire of the Spirit resonating in his words and the testimony of a true servant ringing clearly,
as he spoke, many put their faith in him. Jesus walked to the cross with his eyes fixed obediently upon his Father's eyes.
HIS SOLE DESIRE REMAINED TO PLEASE THE FATHER--Not my will but yours be done. He promised the people, "When they lift me up on the cross, I will be known as I am known: you will see me as I am. The scales will drop from your eyes when I am revealed as the Son of God. You will see, you will remember my words."

We walk on shifting sands. If we walk trusting in ourselves or looking to people to meet our needs, seeking fulfillment in earthly possessions or experiences, we will be discouraged, depressed, even bitter and resentful at times. Situations change, our hopes and plans do not always turn out as we dreamed or expected. People we think we can count on let us down, disappoint us, or have their own problems. Relatives, associates, and even other believers break promises, misunderstand us, or just plain take advantage of us according to how we view things. Disasters, catastrophes, trials, sicknesses, accidents, financial reversals, foolish mistakes, carelessness, and errors of judgment cause us pain, Sorrow, suffering, anxiety, and frustrations seem to pile up until they would overwhelm us if we try to carry them on our own. We may feel like the psalmist: Problems far too big for me to solve are piled higher than my head. Meanwhile, my sins, too many to count, have caught up with me, and I'm ashamed to look up. (Psalm 40:12)

But we have the victory over every one of those tribulations through the mercy and the grace of the Lord because our lives are hid with Christ in God. (Colossians 3:3) Jesus came to do the Father's will, to provide that place of safely. His single-minded obedience resulted in a place of sufficiency for us. He will return someday for his bride, a bride without spot or wrinkle, washed in his blood, cleansed and made holy, separate unto himself. But we need to turn aside and to seek him, to love him and to adore him--worship him wholly and unequivocally. We will not fail; we will not sink in a pit if we rejoice jubilantly in all things and keep our eyes on Jesus Christ and the crown if righteous that awaits us and does not fade away. Christ went to the cross; He keeps his promise; his words are true. Isaiah saw The Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple. (Isaiah 6:1) Jesus Messiah is speaking with authority now: If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9) Worthy is the Lamb! Put your faith in him TODAY!




No comments:

Post a Comment