ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Monday, February 14, 2011

John 7:1-9

John 7:1-9 After this, Jesus went around in Galilee, purposely staying away from Judea because the Jews there were waiting to take his life. But when the Jewish Feast of Tabernacles was near, Jesus’ brothers said to him, “You ought to leave here and go to Judea, so that your disciples may see the miracles you do. No one who wants to become a public figure acts in secret. Since you are doing these things, show yourself to the world.” For even his own brothers did not believe in him. Therefore Jesus told them, “The right time for me has not yet come; for you any time is right. The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify that what it does is evil. You go to the Feast. I am not yet going up to this Feast, because for me the right time has not yet come.” Having said this, he stayed in Galilee.

Matthew 13:54-58 Coming to his hometown, he began teaching the people in their synagogue, and they were amazed. “Where did this man get this wisdom and these miraculous powers?” they asked. “Isn’t this the carpenter’s son? Isn’t his mother’s name Mary, and aren’t his brothers James, Joseph, Simon and Judas? Aren’t all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all these things?” And they took offense at him.
But Jesus said to them, “Only in his hometown and in his own house is a prophet without honor.” AND HE DID NOT DO MANY MIRACLES THERE BECAUSE OF THEIR LACK OF FAITH.

The doubt and unbelief of Christ's brothers must have caused considerable hurt and pain for Jesus who felt human emotions and was
tempted in every way, just as we are — yet was without sin
. (Hebrews 4:15) In their desire for worldly acclaim, his brothers were willing to place Jesus in danger. Sometimes when we feel mistreated by family and close friends, we might reflect on how Christ's family and most trusted companions treated him. In his humanness, Jesus could have struck back at his brothers for their lack of concern for his welfare: He did not. He simply said it was safe for them to go to the Feast because the world hated him not his brothers.
Having said this, he stayed in Galilee.
His brothers lacked compassion for his needs and understanding of his identity and purpose: He was just Jesus with his grandiose ideas, a
carpenter’s son. They probably wondered where he got his ideas, like the people from their hometown.
We do not know but the word says as they pushed him to show off his powers,
even his own brothers did not believe in him.
Jesus was just a man to them who could do very little except
make show of himself at the Feast of Tabernacles and maybe gain a little status for the family or
perhaps wrest a some power from the temple authorities. If He accomplished that, they might even earn a bit of a living for them from his magic tricks. But Jesus could do no eternal work in their hearts or the hearts of anyone unless they believed in him as the Son of God, the Light of the world.

Christians today often struggle the most in sharing their faith in their own neighborhoods or with their relatives. Lifelong friends say, "Don't give me that religion stuff. Don't get all holy holy with me. I've known you since you were a little kid. You are just like I am. You can't kid me. Is this some kind of joke? Now you suddenly got Jesus? Right, give me a break." And you calmly say, "Yes, I've done some pretty bad and crazy things. I was blind and now I see. I was lost, and now I am found. I was heading west, and now I am going east. I was so sick; then He touched me and made me well. I was without hope and had no peace: now He is my hope and my peace. Please let me tell you about Jesus: the Way, the Truth, and the Light, in a very dark and sinful world, the world where you and I have lived for so long." Sometimes that friend or relative will stop and listen for a while. Oftentimes they laugh or swear or ridicule you. Often they draw others into the fun of mocking you. Yet in Christ you forgive them and with persevering faith you pray for them, love them, and believe for their salvation, trusting that the same God who pursued you will pursue them with the love of a Shepherd who seeks lost sheep with an everlasting passionate love.

We walk with God by faith. Jesus' earthly brothers had no faith in him. The writer of Hebrews gives the quintessential faith treatise in chapter 11, beginning with:
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen, and moving on to a key verse for today's study:
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. (Verses 1 & 6 KJV) We
must believe Jesus is Lord of all, the only begotten Son of God, before we can find him and accept him as Savior. If we seek him for any other reason or do not accept him as Lord of our entire lives, we should not expect him to lead and to guide us or to work miracles in our behalf. If we have not placed our faith and trust in him as Jesus Messiah Lord of all, if we are not in living in right relationship with him, and we are not abiding in his sheepfold, then we are not listening to his voice. Many people say they are Christians, yet they live mostly out in the world, doing their own thing; and once in a while they holler over to Jesus, "Hey, brother Jesus, I have been thinking about going to the Feast, and I would like you to go along and do a couple of miracles for me. I need some cash. I need some help here. I am in trouble; can you perform one of those magic tricks of yours? I know we've been pretty much out of touch lately, but remember that grace stuff and how you are supposed to love me? Come on, give me a break. I'm a pretty good person compared to some."

And the amazing thing is: He does hear us, He comes to our side, and He tries to bring us back to the sheepfold. He does not answer our prayers exactly like we thought He would: He says,
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. (Matthew 11:28-30 KJV)
He tenderly whispers, "Come on home, little one. Come on home to your Father. Come on home to the Son. Come on home to the Spirit. I have won." Faith opens the door to eternal life. Without a dependency on Jesus and his righteous works, we wallow in the mud of our own inconsistencies, our own willful ways, our own sins and the sins of others. Freedom in Christ brings abundant life, a change from the inside out, the ability to think and to act differently as new creatures because this world no longer holds us down. Christ becomes our best friend, a trusted advisor, a wise teacher, and yes, even a miracle worker: our EVERYTHING! As the Spirit revealed to Paul:
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. (Galatians 2:20)
AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment