ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Luke 14:25-27

Luke 14:25-27 Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and turning to them he said: “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters — yes, even his own life — he cannot be my disciple. And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.

Matthew 10:37-39 “Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

Philippians 2:5-8 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death — even death on a cross!

Many followed Jesus, but not many wanted to take up the cross and to follow him as a servant. Jesus said, a servant of mine cannot even protect his own life, his own way of living. He must give it all to me. Usually, we find this is hard to do. We want our lives organized and running smoothly, the way we want them. We want to interact and to associate with desirable people. We do not want to be told what to do with our own lives. But Jesus says we must love him so much that we are willing to put aside our own desires, even our relationships with members of our own families. “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters — yes, even his own life — he cannot be my disciple.

As God did with the children of Israel, Jesus asks for a total commitment, not a half-hearted affirmation. He does not ask us to assure ourselves of a better, more secure life by following him; He asks us to risk everything willingly to follow him, even the love of our families. Such a commitment is far removed from present day Christianity in America. Many times, people accept Jesus Christ as "Lord" because they want a better life, stronger relationships, more success. We sometimes take on Jesus Christ to ensure our security, to fulfill our dreams of prosperity and happiness. Paul says our attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus, who went to the cross as a servant to all mankind. He gave his life to others for their blessing not his. Jesus said, “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” (Luke 22:42)

Our lives should mirror the life of Jesus. He said, anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple. Accepting Christ is not a vaccination, a cure-all for our sins. Christianity is a life, a servant's life, lived for others and not ourselves. If we score touchdowns, it is for others not ourselves. We don't say look at me because Christ is doing great things in me; we say look at Christ because I serve him, my Lord and Master. I think as we absorb the attitudes of our day, some of us are confused in our Christianity. If we followed the tenets of modern thought, no one would give up his or her life for Christ. Martyrdom does not actually benefit the self; it does display a servant's heart. Jesus did not go to the cross for himself, but for the world. We are to be servants, not for ourselves but for others. The servant receives no glory; the praise goes to the master. If the grounds are kept up well, look magnificent, the master gets the credit, not the servants who toiled to make it happen. He accepts the accolades not the servants.

Well, what does this all mean? Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. Christ did not come to highlight our lives, He came to reveal God to us and through us. We should reflect the same spirit as Christ who came to reveal the Father's love. If we reveal God in all of his glory, we will serve willingly, choosing to give up our lives, yielding control of our existence, and submitting our will to accept God's will. This is Christianity, the only way to victorious living. There is no other way to be a disciple of Christ. Since we have only one life to live, this may seem hard, but God asks us to live our lives for him by FAITH, knowing He will perfect the work He started in each of us. If we endure to the end, He remains faithful and gives us the power to overcome the world, the flesh, and the devil. Now my friend, we have a choice: to live our lives for God or for ourselves. Those who choose the former are children of God, and the latter are children of the world. Which will it be? I believe you have chosen to live your lives for God. So shout, Hallelujah! Then live as a child of the King, sharing his grace and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment