ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Monday, November 30, 2015

Philippians 2:19-24 Finish the Race!


Philippians 2:19-24  I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon, that I also may be cheered when I receive news about you.  I have no one else like him, who takes a genuine interest in your welfare.  For everyone looks out for his own interests, not those of Jesus Christ.  But you know that Timothy has proved himself, because as a son with his father he has served with me in the work of the gospel.  I hope, therefore, to send him as soon as I see how things go with me.  And I am confident in the Lord that I myself will come soon.

I have no one else like him (Timothy), who takes a genuine interest in your welfare.  For everyone looks out for his own interests, not those of Jesus Christ.  This is a message that should challenge today's church.  Paul realized that most of the Christians around him were so involved with their own concerns that they could not or would not look beyond their own interests to the concerns of Jesus Christ.  But Timothy, as a good son, would choose to look after the interests and concerns of his spiritual father, Paul.  Paul could count on this from Timothy because as a son with his father he has served with me in the work of the gospel.  Paul's concerns, in his role as an apostle, revolved around the welfare of the churches he founded.  The Philippian church was one of them.  Timothy was sent to the Philippians to gather information for Paul on the health and welfare of the church in Philippi.  Paul said he sought this good report so that I also may be cheered when I receive news about you.  Timothy also gave them the latest information on Paul's situation in Rome.  Timothy was a trusted brother in the Lord to Paul, so close to Paul, that Paul considered him his spiritual son.  Paul knew Timothy would reflect his love and his concern for the wellbeing of the Philippians.  He knew Timothy would sacrifice his own physical and emotional needs for the furtherance of the gospel in Philippi.  As his true son in the faith, Paul could count on Timothy lifting up Jesus Christ in his visit to this nascent church.  (1 Timothy 1:2)  He trusted Timothy to follow the admonition he had already given the Philippians: Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.  (Philippians 2:3)

Paul set an example as a servant, and he trusted Timothy to do likewise.  Some of you reading this breakfast have received ministry from believers who put their own needs aside to bless or to encourage others, people who considered the interests of Jesus Christ as more important than their own interests.  Mom had such a friend, and she was a tremendous blessing in her life.  During a period when Mom was suffering greatly from the effects of lupus and fibro myalgia, this wonderful friend seemed to sense when she was needed.  Mom was still working as a writing consultant for different school districts, and part of her job included conducting workshops.  This dear friend, Carol, would accompany her to the school and help carry in the materials, arranging them, handing them out, and doing anything she could to ease the workload.  Most important, at the end of the day, she loaded the car, took Mom's arm, helped her to the car, and drove her home.  Many times, she would give Mom a massage to help soothe her aching joints and muscles.  She would call on days that seemed impossible and tell Mom,  "Now, I want you to tell me how you really are, so I can pray."  When she heard about the pain or the lack of sleep or the brain fog, she would simply say, "I know, I know."  Then she would offer encouragement.  Her words overflowed with the comfort of the Lord.  She sent scriptures and spiritual songs.  Once she called and said, "I hear you saying, 'I think I can.  I think I can.'  The Lord wants you to say, I know I can.  I know I can.  You can do all things through Christ who gives you strength right now."  Our son, Dan, summed up Carol's love and care for his mother when he said, "You know, Mom, Carol is such a great friend because she gives more than she takes."  Dad said, "That is a friend who loves like Jesus."  We should all love with that kind of love.  Carol said she was a Titus because Paul told the church in Corinth, Titus was a fellow worker sent from God to labor with him.  She believed that was her role in Mom's life.  When Carol went to be with the Lord it was very difficult, and Mom misses her loving friendship greatly.  But Carol's life influenced many for Jesus.

If you have been blessed with a Carol in your life or if God has called you to be a Carol to others in your sphere of influence, then praise God!  Either role is ordained of God and mapped out by the Holy Spirit.  Jesus said,  I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.  (John 10:10)  To minister under the leading of the Holy Spirit or to be ministered to by another is life changing.  In these grace-filled moments, we connect with the Creator, the giver of eternal life.  Yes, life can be difficult at times; we often experience hardships and extreme pain.  Our dear Carol died a painful death from cancer.  She expected God to heal her up to the very end of her life here on Earth.  Shortly before her passing, Mom told her, "I know it is not what you wanted, but you are going to receive your healing in heaven.  You are going to have that big party with Jesus and those who have gone before, and I will see you again."  She did not want to hear that.  None of us wants a "No" when we sought a "Yes."  But we know Carol arrived in heaven with inexpressible joy!  When Carol took her last breath on this side of heaven, she knew where she was headed.  Jesus had a place for her prepared ahead of time.  With Paul, she could say, I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.  Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day — and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.  (2 Timothy 4:7-8)   She did not run in vain, and neither do we when we run the race for the cause of Christ.  We have a couple of grandchildren who run races.  They run fast!  When Ethan or Julia run a race, they are all in: nothing distracts them or keeps them from the finish line.  When they finish, they have used all their strength and they have done their best.  This is how every believer must run for the Master.  You must: Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.   And as Jesus added, you must: Love your neighbor as yourself.  (Mark 12:30-31)  Paul and Timothy loved like that, Carol loved like that, and so can we as we serve in the work of the gospel. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment