ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Monday, October 26, 2015

Philippians 1:18-26 To Live is Christ!


Philippians 1:18-26  Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, for I know that through your prayers and the help given by the Spirit of Jesus Christ, what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance.  I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.  If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me.  Yet what shall I choose?  I do not know!  I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body.  Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me.  Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, for I know that through your prayers and the help given by the Spirit of Jesus Christ, what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance.  I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death.  For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.  If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me.  Yet what shall I choose?  I do not know!  I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body.  Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me. 

All of us has a row to hoe and plant in God's garden.  We are given a certain amount of time to live.  When that row ends and our time of planting is complete, our lives of productivity are over.  Some are given a long row, many years; others are given a very short row.  In the field God has prepared for us, we should be profitable, using the time and resources God has given us.  The wages are the same whether we have a long row or a short row: eternal life.  If we fail to understand that we have work to do, that life is not just about us, but about others, we will stand in the middle of the field without any work or effort on our part.  In today's verses from Philippians, Paul indicates as long as he is alive, he has work to do; and he says, as long as he lives, his life in the body will mean fruitful labor for me.  His work was fruitful for it was a life meant to reveal Jesus Christ to those that God had given to him, regardless of his circumstances.  For him, to live is Christ and to die is gain.  For Paul and every Christian, there is no other life than the one God wants us to live.  We cannot stop halfway down the row because of the vicissitudes or the cares of life: we persevere to the end.  Jesus said, But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.  (Matthew 24:13 KJV)  We should look out for the welfare of others, bringing joy to those who have no joy, means to those who have no means, life to those who are dead in trespasses and sin.  As believers, we reveal the image of God to those who seek him and to the lost.  We should tend diligently to our row of responsibilities in life by faith in our Lord.  Paul said at this present time he was to remain on this earth for the purpose of God, and that purpose was so that the progress and joy in the faith of the church would overflow because of his ministry.  Paul was committed to his calling.  As he once told Timothy: And of this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher.  That is why I am suffering as I am.  Yet I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day.  (2 Timothy 1:11-12) 

What is your purpose and calling from God in life?  How many seeds of joy or support or encouragement are you planting?  How are you furthering the plans of God in other people's lives?  Or is your life wrapped around self: your will, your desires, your life?  We are all susceptible to the life of self-fullfillment as our primary purpose for living.  We can protect the self, indulge and cater to ourselves, but the product of such a self-oriented life is usually disappointment, bewilderment, and depression.  The cardinal question is not answered: Why am I here?  We have climbed high mountains, we have explored beautiful countries, we have intwined ourselves with nature, we have drunk deeply of every exotic experience we could find, but still the nagging question exists: Why are we here?  What is this explosion of biological energy that we call life?  Are we just a surge of energy like the flash of a camera's lightbulb, then nothingness, a dissipated life, gone forever without of a trace?  Is that the meaning of existence?  Many people find this reality comforting, believing inert elements became full of life, an awareness.  They live a life, trying to get the most from this nanosecond flash.  At the end of such emptiness, we all say: Bring in the clowns; there ought to be clowns.  Life is no more than a split second awareness, a lightning bolt.  But this is not scriptural; it is not Christian.  The Bible indicates that our lives are not our own; we were meant to live them for our Lord.  The depth of awareness that you feel right now as you read this breakfast is a breakthrough that will go on forever in the Spirit, for God has given you eternal life.  As we walk this earth, we have the indwelling Holy Spirit and the constant power of his presence.  As Jesus said, But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.  (Acts 1:7)  This is our calling, our reason to live. 

This pure light of heaven that is radiating from you right now should brighten the world, for Jesus is the light of the world.  The brightness from your life should expose the darkness and deadness of sin in the world.  We are the light of the world.  Jesus made this clear as He walked with his disciples: You are the light of the world.  A city on a hill cannot be hidden.  Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl.  Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.  In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.  (Matthew 5:14-16  As we walk through life, we should be as farmers in the field.  We should be providing good soil, planting, watering, even weeding.  We should make our part of the garden as productive and beautiful as we can for the glory of God.  Christians should be gardening with hope, joy, peace, kindness, love, support, and all that is within us. The Spirit of God and his likeness should be seen in us, in our actions and demeanor.  We should be planting gladness in a difficult world full of violence, hurt, and pain.   As flesh, we have the same concerns and foibles as everyone else.  But as we read in Paul's letter to the church in Galatia: Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires.  Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.  (Galatians 5:24-25)  The Spirit desires to plant, to bring many to the knowledge of Jesus Christ and his righteousness.  Paul knew his life's mission was to reveal Christ to a sick and dying world.  Our mission is the same.  God is love.  Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him.  (1 John 4:16)  Let us bring God and his wonderful love to the world as we progress down our row of life, planting seeds of righteousness.         

No comments:

Post a Comment