ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Friday, December 31, 2010

John 4:46-54

John 4:46-54 Once more he visited Cana in Galilee, where he had turned the water into wine. And there was a certain royal official whose son lay sick at Capernaum. When this man heard that Jesus had arrived in Galilee from Judea, he went to him and begged him to come and heal his son, who was close to death. “Unless you people see miraculous signs and wonders,” Jesus told him, “you will never believe.” The royal official said, “Sir, come down before my child dies.” Jesus replied, “You may go. Your son will live.” The man took Jesus at his word and departed. While he was still on the way, his servants met him with the news that his boy was living. When he inquired as to the time when his son got better, they said to him, “The fever left him yesterday at the seventh hour.” Then the father realized that this was the exact time at which Jesus had said to him, “Your son will live.” So he and all his household believed. This was the second miraculous sign that Jesus performed, having come from Judea to Galilee.

Before accepting Jesus as Messiah, the official needed a confirmation: The fever left him yesterday at the seventh hour. Seeing the man's heart, Jesus understood his desperate plea for help. Christ represented the last hope for his dying son. Knowing his petitioner's need for a sign, Jesus performed the miracle, not only to save the son from death but to save the household. As Christians, we sometimes lose track of God's quintessential purpose for sending his beloved Son. We start thinking He came with fishes and loaves for the hungry in his time and for us today. We follow him for miracles of wholeness, healing, and prosperity on Earth: abundant life! Jesus shed his blood on a cruel cross and allowed his broken body to be buried in a tomb, but He did not pay such a price for worldly security, leisure time, and prosperity. He revealed God's plan to save the lost, to free those who sat in darkness, making them sons and daughters of the Most High. Yes, we pray for healing, for daily bread, and for a prosperity in Christ--that is abundant life! As a good and loving Father, the Lord continually meets our needs, lavishing us with mercy and graces. Yet God sorrows when we focus upon the immediacy of our problems, failing to hear his call to servanthood.

When I walked to the front as a young man in a revival meeting, I looked for help, a better life. As a sinner I was in search of hope, release from sin, and a path to eternal life. I also believed Christ would make my life appreciably better. Knowing a lot of scripture, I knew accepting Christ meant I was adopted into God's family. As a joint heir with Jesus, we were united by blood: Surely He would watch over and take care of me. I was like this royal official who said heal my son. I cried out, "Lord, take my life; save me from hell; and while you are at it, take care of all my needs, even my desires for security, success, and well-being. With this skewed view of Christianity, what happens when God seems to ignore my needs as hardship, tragedy or calamity befalls me? Where is my Jesus? Did He not tell the official, You may go. Your son will live? Jesus made this universal call: Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. (Matthew 11:28-30) What does all this mean?

Jesus went to the cross, saying, Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done. (Luke 22:44) Surrounded by people's needs with the cross always before him, Jesus said: I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. (John 12:24-25) Paul said we are God's workmanship, created from the beginning of time to follow him, to do his work. The Spirit within us only wants to please the Father. We now possess spiritual ears to hear his voice; new eyes to see the world, and strong hands to reach out with loving kindness and the gift of life to a dying people. Functioning as his body, we find freedom from sin, a release from bondage, and the inexpressible and everlasting peace God promised. If we live by the dictates of the carnal mind with a selfishness me-first attitude and agenda, we will never understand the mysteries of Christ. We will not discern John's words: Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth. (3 John 2 KJV) As we keep in step with the Spirit, we seek God's will and rejoice in his leading. God blesses us with persevering faith. As children of the King, a royal army, we follow our Master in triumphant victory!



2 comments: