ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Saturday, December 11, 2010

John 3:22-30

John 3:22-30 After this, Jesus and his disciples went out into the Judean countryside, where he spent some time with them, and baptized. Now John also was baptizing at Aenon near Salim, because there was plenty of water, and people were constantly coming to be baptized. (This was before John was put in prison.) An argument developed between some of John’s disciples and a certain Jew over the matter of ceremonial washing. They came to John and said to him, “Rabbi, that man who was with you on the other side of the Jordan — the one you testified about — well, he is baptizing, and everyone is going to him.” To this John replied, “A man can receive only what is given him from heaven. You yourselves can testify that I said, ‘I am not the Christ but am sent ahead of him.’ The bride belongs to the bridegroom. The friend who attends the bridegroom waits and listens for him, and is full of joy when he hears the bridegroom’s voice. That joy is mine, and it is now complete. He must become greater; I must become less.

John's heart overflowed with joy because he heard the voice of Jesus, the bridegroom, a voice he knew originated from heaven. John had baptized Jesus in water that he might fulfill his mission to mankind as Messiah and Lord. John recognized Jesus and understood his own divine assignment to prepare the way of the Lord. Do you know your role, your mission from heaven? Having met the Messiah, do you rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory? (1 Peter 1:8 KJV) If we cannot answer these questions in the affirmative, we will wander in doubt and unbelief, waiting for the next mission, the next role, the next Messiah, hoping to find fulfillment and joy. Oftentimes, we act like the children on the side of the road that Jesus describes: To what, then, can I compare the people of this generation? What are they like? They are like children sitting in the marketplace and calling out to each other: “We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a dirge, and you did not cry." (Luke 7:31-32) Nothing much touches us inside, rather than rejoicing in the Lord daily, we wait for the next event, the next cure, the next revival, or even the next disaster. Our eyes are not fixed on our Lord.

As born-again children of God, we do not come to the wedding as friends of the bridegroom: we are the bride. Such a reality should make us sing and dance in joy with the bridegroom; instead, many of us sit on the sidelines, awaiting some exciting or titillating event in our lives to give us a spirit of praise and rejoicing. I lived in southeast Auburn for many years with a huge cedar tree in the backyard leaning toward my house. When the winds blew, this tree creaked and groaned, convincing me of imminent disaster. Anxiety over that tree falling on my house or the neighbor's house plagued me, yet the high price tag of over a thousand dollars for its removal from our small back yard prevented me from having it cut down. With five kids and a teacher's income, I just did not believe I had that kind of money to spend on a tree.

How then should I have lived? I should have done what my wife said and either borrow money to have the tree removed or trust God to keep that old cedar standing as it had for so many years. Many of us have a cedar in our backyard that leans toward the house, and we are without finances to take it down. How should we live daily? Do we live in fear, anxiety, and unbelief, hoping for a solution somewhere down the road, or do we face our problems now with faith and trust in the Lord who abides with us in the moment, ready to help us? John's words provide the answer to our questions: That joy is mine, and it is now complete. We should live in the peace and joy of Christ's presence right now, on this day with whatever it holds. Joy and confidence in the Lord should encompass and define each of our days. In it all, through it all, and in spite of it all, we overcome through Christ our Lord. He paid the price and the price He paid was enough for everything, even that which you and I find insurmountable--the huge cedar in the back yard. I struggle daily to make John's words of faith, my words, my mantra. Sometimes I fail miserably, but the Spirit of God constantly reminds me, "I am here, I am with you, and I will not forsake you." As a weak human, I still think I can add to or improve my life by worrying. Surprise! This never works. Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? Of course not. (Matthew 6:27 NLT) The Spirit reminds us that as Jesus placed his confidence in the FATHER, so should we. As the born again who will live forever, we have hope, peace, and joy now and for eternity.

Some of you might say, "I am not worrying about anything bad happening; neither am I waiting for an event to fulfill my joy." Yet other situations in your life may get in the way of complete joy. Maybe to have true contentment, you think you must lose that next ten pounds, or your spouse needs to treat you better, or you need that the raise the boss has been promising. Maybe you require a better place to live, more financial security, better health, better kids, better friends. . . The maybe list has no end. But John heard the Spirit of God say, "This is my son, listen to him." He could testify, "I have met the Lord and my joy is complete. Today, I place my entire life in his hands, for my Redeemer has come to me." When we begin to embrace this truth in our lives, we will know that we are IN CHRIST and He is in us. The light of heaven, the Bright and Morning Star has come to shine upon us, to live in us. Quit waiting for a new revelation, a big event, a change in your circumstances: live now! Find your place in the body of Christ, work for him with joy, and God will give you the riches of his glory as your soul prospers. He loves you with an everlasting love. This is my daily challenge, is it yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment