ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Mark 3:13-19

Mark 3:13-19 Jesus went up on a mountainside and called to him those he wanted, and they came to him. He appointed twelve — designating them apostles — that they might be with him and that he might send them out to preach to have authority to drive out demons. These are the twelve he appointed: Simon (to whom he gave the name Peter); James son of Zebedee and his brother John (to them he gave the name Boanerges, which means Sons of Thunder); Andrew, Philip, Bartholomew, Matthew, Thomas, James son of Alphaeus, Thaddaeus, Simon the Zealot and Judas Iscariot, who betrayed him.

How many of us want to be called up on the mountainside? How many of us want to be chosen as Jesus' special messengers? How many of us want power over the demons, infirmities, and diseases? Probably all of us would raise our hands. All of us would look eagerly to Jesus and let him know by our facial expressions, choose me. But then how many of us would choose to be mocked, ridiculed, and disowned by our own people? How many of us would like to be would like to be persecuted, chased from city to city, jailed? How many of us would like to be stoned? How many of us would like to die an untimely death? I don't know how many hands would go up then? I don't know how many faces would be turned towards Jesus, eager to be chosen. No, I suspect most of us would keep our heads down, muttering something under our breaths such as "I hope He doesn't look this way. He is asking too much." I think sometimes when we do say yes to Jesus' call we are somewhat like Peter. Then Jesus answered, “Will you really lay down your life for me? I tell you the truth, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times!" (John 13:38) Many times hardships and difficulties are part the call of Jesus. "I am preparing you to be my servant. I am preparing you to hear my voice at ALL TIMES." I believe that God uses the darkest times in our lives as we yield to him, and his call can be heard even during during the sorrow of facing an untimely death. He says to the one who is facing death, "I am calling you for myself," or He comforts the sick person and his loved ones with these words, "I am calling you for the sake of those around you who do not know me." A general call that goes out to all who desire him is, "Walk with me and I will make you my soldier, my instrument to defeat the devil at every hand." Do we want such calls, and are we willing to agree to his plans for our lives?

Yes, the mountainside experience is a beautiful one. There, you have been chosen to be special. You have been chosen to be God's unique instrument in his mission to save humanity. But you must realize you will have to come down from the mountain. You will have to travel from city to city, and you will feel like an alien much of the time. People of the world won't readily accept you, for you are not one of them. Your lifestyle, your ideas are foreign to them. They see you as an outsider. They know you are not building for this kingdom, but for another kingdom. The Bible says, "your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory." (Colossians 3:3-4) As sure as they don't understand the message of Christ, they won't understand you. However, Jesus said, "Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me." (John 12:26) Don't be afraid of the call. The Holy Spirit has come to comfort you when you go through difficulties. He has come to strengthen you on your journey. When you are tired and weak, He is there. And most of all He is with you to remind you that you are a beloved family member of the Most High, and that you represent him. Therefore, your demeanor should be his; your love should display his love. Definitely the Holy Spirit has been sent for you. Now today, many of you are facing great trials, maybe even those that seem to be unto death, but I want to remind you THAT YOU ARE NOT ALONE. No one else might understand your situation but Jesus does. When Jesus called the twelve, He knew what lay ahead of them. But He called them anyway out of HIS GREAT LOVE for them. HE KNEW THE BLESSINGS OF GOD WERE FAR GREATER THAN THE TRIALS OF THIS LIFE.

No comments:

Post a Comment