ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Friday, November 5, 2010

Ephesians 6:10-12 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

My dear brothers and sisters, I am straying a bit this morning from Dad's usual format, but I think you'll enjoy the meal before you. When Dad gets feedback on the devotions, we treasure every message: they encourage us not to grow weary in well-doing. Like any mere human, Dad gets down occasionally or wonders about this ministry. When that happens the Holy Spirit often sends us inspirational words from a reader: words of thanks, encouragement, and inspiration. Today, Dad has an early appointment, and I am sharing a few responses that came in during the past week regarding the breakfasts. We are deeply humbled and mightily touched by God's resurrection power at work in his body, the living church. Yes, we all struggle, we all face problems and trials, but when we are most weak, Christ is most strong. We can do all things through Christ: in his armor and full of his Spirit, nothing is impossible to those who believe. Love, Mom (Jacqueline)

1. Message regarding yesterday's breakfast from a young friend, 5th grader I think, who shines so brightly for Jesus:

This is Kenzie. I just read the book of Ephesians and talked to my mom about it. She said I would like your Breakfast with Dad devotional. I wanted to read it. I'm glad you wrote about what I just read. It helped me understand better. I like what you wrote about Moses and the rock. Sometimes I get angry with my sister and I get physical. I know I shouldn't and should obey God. I also just read in the last part of the chapter of Ephesians 4, Get rid of all bitterness,rage,anger harsh words,and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior. Instead be kind to each other,tenderhearted,forgiving one another,just as God through Christ has forgiven you. When i get mad I make bad choices so I should forgive and I should obey the Lord. At school I want to start a Bible study with my friends, so we talked to my teacher and she thinks its ok, but we should talk with the principal first. I think it will be so much fun, and I hope people will come and join us. We will just read a couple scriptures and talk about it and share stuff and do some fun activities. We will do it at recess. My mom said I should start with the book of John. I'm exited and hope we can do it and hope it will work out. I loved your Breakfast with Dad and I want to start reading them every day. Thank you. You are like a Grandpa to me. Since I lost the other one, I'm so happy I have you. I love you Kenzie!!!

2. Message in response to the November 2nd breakfast from a precious sister in Christ who first contacted us a while back because of our son's radio program, "Live from Seattle with Doug Bursch" on KGNW 820AM:

Wow!...I am brought to silence before the Lord with this message. And, I am humbled. And VERY regretful. This is what is wrong in our household…My husband and I failed to get on the same page about bringing our children up in the instruction of the Lord and so what followed was just rules….and the resultant rebellion. Our kids have been through a lot and we have been through a lot. But, we need a restoration of the relationships. How do we do that? What do we do? Do we share this with the kids and ask forgiveness? Do we ask them also to forsake the rebellion? I mean…aside from prayer and fasting….what do we do?

3. Message from a dear and faithful friend adding to the November 1st breakfast:

Thank you again. I like remembering we are living in a better place than the Garden of Eden. We abide in a heavenly place now not needing to wait until death. That price was
already paid; but living eternal life today and every day from the time we choose to abide in Christ: That's what keeps me going anyway.

4. Message from our beloved oldest daughter concerning the October 29th breakfast:

Excellent word on this topic and I like how you brought in the word regarding light having no fellowship with darkness. Submission has great power and that is why it is so important that we do submit to God’s word and His way but we can’t submit and we should not submit to something or someone who is operating outside of Christ. As believers we do not submit to Sin but to God. This understanding will prevent Christians from submitting to something that is evil or wrong in the eyes of God. There is no call for submission to evil and Christians who are caught in situations of abuse or destruction need to be freed from that ideology. Many a wrong has been done under the misuse of this scripture and yet clarification is so important because we don’t want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Submission is good not bad. Learning to submit to Christ and his plan for our life, our marriage, our relationships is essential to living a Christ minded life. But this is all done under the headship of Christ and out of reverence for Christ; submitting to one another is not a law unto itself but falls under the same grace and mercy that brought us salvation in the first place. We submit just as we love by following the example of Christ and doing as He first did for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment