ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Philemon 1:12 & 17-25

Philemon 1:12 & 17-25 I am sending him — who is my very heart — back to you. So if you consider me a partner, welcome him as you would welcome me. If he has done you any wrong or owes you anything, charge it to me. I, Paul, am writing this with my own hand. I will pay it back — not to mention that you owe me your very self. I do wish, brother, that I may have some benefit from you in the Lord; refresh my heart in Christ. Confident of your obedience, I write to you, knowing that you will do even more than I ask. And one thing more: Prepare a guest room for me, because I hope to be restored to you in answer to your prayers. Epaphras, my fellow prisoner in Christ Jesus, sends you greetings. And so do Mark, Aristarchus, Demas and Luke, my fellow workers. The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit.

I am sending him — who is my very heart — back to you. How it must have broken Paul's heart to send Onesimus back to Philemon. He didn't really know how Philemon would receive Onesimus, but he was praying that he would do the Christian thing. Can't you imagine the tears and sadness Paul had when he released Onesimus to journey back to Philemon? I am sure there was a groaning of the heart, words of endearment, and many tears. Paul was sending his son back to an uncertain future. But given the natural circumstances, Paul did the right thing: he sent a slave, a commodity, back to the household of his master. However, Paul used every leverage he could to ensure a positive future for Onesimus: welcome him as you would welcome me--charge it to me--I will pay it back--you owe me your very self--I may have some benefit from you--refresh my heart in Christ-- confident of your obedience--knowing that you will do even more than I ask. Nevertheless, as he sent his beloved friend back, he had to depend upon Philemon's walk with Christ, his understanding of brotherhood in Christ.

We also have to depend on each other's understanding of what it means to be brothers and sisters in Christ, to be Christians, to be members of the body of Christ. Many churches are broken apart by fleshly problems, by the carnal man's perspective, by the harsh words or actions of Christians. Many Christian communities are in disarray because of a failure of believers to love each other as Christ's loves us. Do we love each other as our very heart? We need to be careful of the flesh, the "old man." The flesh likes to dictate, to control, to express its own opinion readily, but it does not like to take orders, to be submissive, to be humble, to be quiet, to prefer others above itself. The flesh likes to stand out, to be magnified; it does not want to be background music, to be part of the scenery. The flesh tends to focus on the self and to be negative concerning others, and it highlights its own accomplishments. How marvelous we are to discern what is wrong with everyone and everything else, while ignoring our own failings. Positive people focus the attention on others, how beautiful and talented they are, how good things are, and how much they appreciate the work of their family and friends.

The Bible says that those who are disruptive, those with an antiChrist spirit, went out from amongst us so that they might be manifested. This is a spirit we sometimes find in ourselves? All of us can possess this spirit. I mentioned this before, but it is appropriate here. I once disagreed wholeheartedly with a new policy that was being implemented in a school where I was teaching. I was considered a confidant of the principal, but I was openly attacking this policy. One day he requested a meeting with me. In that meeting he told me that I was becoming overly negative, even disruptive. I thought for a few seconds and then said, "I am sorry. I have become too negative. I am not doing what I should do and that is to support you." By the way, that new policy was a failure. I was right, BUT I WAS WRONG. By being negative, I was not doing the right thing. I could have spoken my words and shared my opinions, but then I should have been a servant, for my job was not to administrate; my job was to implement.

We all have times of negativity, but as Christians we need to rein in that spirit and not let it control us. When a couple of our sons used to have trouble with their tempers, especially when arguing with their siblings, Jacqueline would say to them, "You need to pray and let Jesus help you control your temper. If you don't, it will control you." That is true with any of the deeds of the flesh. As children of God, we need to love each other in the church as brothers and sisters. We need to look out for the community of believers. We are his representatives here on Earth. We should display his robes of righteousness and not let careless acts of selfish disobedience get in the way of Christ's loving kindness and tender mercy. We need to allow the "old man" to die daily. When we see ourselves lifted up, we should be careful, for the flesh delights in that and feeds off fame and fortune. When others are in need of attention or encouragement, we should love as if the person is our very heart. Sometimes that is hard, for we might need love and care ourselves, but that is God's way--the way of the cross. If we listen and obey, the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with our spirit(s), and we will rejoice with great joy. We will welcome our Onesimus, love him, restore him, and anyone who God sends our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment