ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

2 Timothy 4:6-8

2 Timothy 4:6-8 For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day — and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

Do you long for his appearing or have you lost Jesus Christ in the crowd? Is He something more to you than just a wise, miracle working Lord? Is He your very life? When you breathe in, does He breathe out; are you that close? These are questions we need to ask ourselves because maybe we don't really long for his appearance. Maybe our lives have been too established here to desire his divine presence. Maybe our cares are too much with us to even think of him as a lover would think of his absent love. In our world of television, computers, blackberries, and so many competing attractions, do we spend any quality time with the Lord? Is He an afterthought, someone we push in between commercials or other interests? If so, we probably don't really long for his appearance, for He is not primary enough in our lives for us to long for him.

Paul longed for him because his whole life was poured out for Christ. As we see through his letters, his life was dedicated to the one he loved; he committed his all to the living Christ. Therefore, death to this world was his signature. If you had met Paul, you would have known he was a fanatic for Jesus Christ, for his every thought, all his strength, was committed to his Lord. He said, "I die daily." He was seeking a higher calling; this world was not his home. Are we so dedicated, so focused, or are we really focused on other things? Of course, we can always say that Paul was an apostle who was given a special ministry by the Lord himself, but Paul and Jesus are examples of how our lives should be lived. I come up short when I think of these things, for my epistle has too much of myself and not enough of Christ. Yes, I am confident in the power of God's grace to save to the uttermost, but many times I am aware that I am living too much for myself. I find myself reluctant to give extra time to Christ. Is this wrong? Of course it is, for I know biblically I AM IN HIM. Therefore, because I am IN HIM, HIDDEN IN HIM FROM THE JUDGEMENT OF GOD, RESTORED IN HIM TO NEW LIFE, my life and thoughts should be dedicated to him. My communication with him and my prayer life should be healthy and constant.

When I am thinking this way, I think of Jesus when He said his followers must eat of his flesh and drink of his blood. After that sermon the Bible says many left him. For them, Jesus was demanding too much. He was asking a closer walk than they were willing to give. Yes, they would follow him for the miracles, the fishes and the loaves, but they were not going to follow him if they had to eat and drink of him, if they had to have a fellowship that was that intimate. Jesus said to them, “I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day." (John 6:53-54) Of course, Christians understand eternal life comes through the cross and the blood atonement, but Jesus was asking his followers for a greater commitment than they desired. He was asking them to partake of his life. He is still asking us to partake of his life. He is still asking us to be a servant as He was to the people. He is still asking his sons and daughters to portray his life on earth. Portraying his life takes time with him, reflecting his likeness takes time with him, loving as He loves takes time with him. Loving Jesus so that we long for his return requires time spent in his presence away from the pressures of this life. Paul said there is now a crown of righteousness for all those who long for his returning. Do we long for his returning? If we have eaten of his flesh, drunk of his blood, and committed our lives to him wholeheartedly, we too will long for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment