ABOUT BREAKFAST WITH DAD

This is Breakfast With Dad, a collection of devotions on books of the Bible that I send out to over 150 friends and family members. I hope you will take time to read the most recent blog and maybe one of two from past offerings. If you have an interest in studying the Bible or have been thinking about starting a daily devotion, this would be a good place to begin. I started writing these devotions when my youngest son moved away from home and was having a hard time in his life. I used to fix him a hot breakfast every morning before school, so I decided to send him spiritual food instead to encourage his heart. I hope these "breakfasts" encourage you.

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Mark 10:28-31

Mark 10:28-31 Peter said to him, “We have left everything to follow you!” “I tell you the truth,” Jesus replied, “no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age (homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields — and with them, persecutions) and in the age to come, eternal life. But many who are first will be last, and the last first.”

Romans 12:9-13 Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.

Peter and the disciples had left everything to follow Jesus. They had the same concerns for their economic security and social well-being as we have today. So Peter was saying something very profound when he said, “We have left everything to follow you!” He was saying, "We have sacrificed everything for you Jesus." Sometimes we have ridiculed Peter for denying Christ, but very few us can say that we have left everything to follow Christ. Jesus retorts that their sacrifice will be worth it: they will receive a hundredfold reward for their hundred-percent commitment to him. He tells them that they will receive homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields — and with them, persecutions. We sometimes preach this as if we will receive a hundredfold blessing. Well, that is true, but it has nothing to do with personal wealth or even peace of mind. Jesus is talking about the church, the body of Christ. Yes, we do receive all that Jesus said we would receive because of the church. If the church is functioning right, our homes, our fields (goods) are shared, for we are relatives in Christ. But our persecutions, our difficulties, are also shared.

Sometimes when Christians read the above scripture, they fixate on more and better houses, more and better relationships, and more money in the bank, but they somehow delete the word persecution. The latter doesn't seem like a blessing. Why give my tithes and offerings if all I am going to get is more persecution. Why leave everything behind, why jeopardize my security, if all that I am going to get is obscure promises and persecution. This kind of gospel doesn't sell very well in America. What sells is, "Give the Lord money, and you will receive a hundredfold blessing. The Rolls Royce you always wanted is right now being driven to your front door." This sells and congregations by the thousands are hearing this message today. They are not hearing you will be persecuted for my namesake. You might even be killed. This is not an attractive message; it will turn off many who want Jesus to help them carry a football over the goal line to a thundering ovation. We do not want to hear that you will be murdered alone on some dusty road. However, the latter (the martyrs) will be first in the kingdom of heaven and the former will be last.

I, right now, am writing to my brothers and sisters in Christ. You and I are the fulfillment of the above scriptures. Because of that we should act like brothers and sisters. We should be concerned about each other's needs. We should be in prayer for each other and whenever possible we should provide the help needed when we know people are hurting. E-mail allows us to sit down in the same room together. We can reach out to each other in e-mail. I have found that people are more than happy to send someone else's thoughts or inspirations to me. Well that is okay. But if I were sitting down with you in my living room, I would not want to know someone else's thoughts, I would want to know yours. I would want a dialogue with you. How sad it would be to see you leave my house without you expressing your own thoughts, hurts, concerns, your words of encouragement. Today we are children of God, today we are family members; let us act that way. (Now, one of my concerns, Jacqueline has been sick, mostly in bed, for three weeks--please pray for her.)

No comments:

Post a Comment